lawik

lawik

Nerves Core Team

I have a library that wants to find all modules for a given behaviour. I found some description that showed how to do this off of :code.all_loaded() which was neat. Then I moved the library out of the application it was living in because it really isn’t supposed to be an application on its own. And things started breaking intermittently during testing.

So that’s when I found out about Elixir doing lazy loading of modules through this thread. But the build_embedded stuff only really seems to apply to an application.

Should I just use another approach for this? I want to find all modules that are widgets. I was doing this at runtime, building the list when it was first requested and persisting it to the Application environment. I don’t really care if the initial list is made at compile time or runtime. Ideally it should also be able to register new Widgets if they are loaded at runtime or come from outside the library.

Is there a common pattern recommended here that I’m just not familiar with? I realize this is state but the library is mostly pure functions so avoiding needing to start a supervision tree for the lib would be more elegant.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’ve tried to do similar things in the past and tbh the best/most flexible thing you can do it let your users provide a list somewhere. All other options have downsides like needing global state or your case of a certain embedded mode, …

christhekeele

christhekeele

I messed around with metaprogramming using module compilation hooks to achieve a way to track what modules use other modules a few years ago. It could be applied here to track behavior usage.

You have to own the module being used, and clients have to use use instead of @behaviour. But it will let the library track all modules at compile time, across other libraries and umbrella apps.

Not that this probably isn’t a great idea, one of the whole points of having behaviours is to define an interface that others can call dynamically with arbitrary modules.

Also note I haven’t tried this out for years, so may not work verbatim on recent elixirs.

lawik

lawik OP

Nerves Core Team

Thanks, I’ve gone for an Agent storing the list for now. So that needs to be loaded at startup. It’ll do.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews