Can I point elixir-lsp to built-in module sources?

It would be nice to be able to use jump-to-definition for the built-in modules. I installed elixir with asdf, and see that I have the module source at /~.asdf/installs/elixir/1.12.2-otp-24/lib/elixir/lib.

Is there a way to configure elixir-lsp so it can find these? I’m using it with the ElixirLS vs code plugin.
`

Hi! This is something that does work once you’ve done some setup. Jump to definition is only available if you install elixir from source. I believe the steps to follow are roughly something like this:

1. clone the elixir github repository
  2. Optionally check out a specific tag
  3. run make compile
  4. In the root of your project run asdf local elixir path:/path/to/elixir/ (where the path is the path to the github repo in step 1)
  5. In the root of your project run rm -rf _build .elixir_ls
  6. Open/restart your editor
  7. Wait for the build to complete
4 Likes

Great, thanks. I shall try that shortly.

Meanwhile, out of interest: is the need to install from source fundamental to how elixir-ls works? Or, if you have sources available in some other way (eg. via the asdf elixir plugin), could elixir-ls (with some enhancement or other) be configured to use those for jump to definition? I can see advantages - eg. personally, I’d rather asdf take care of elixir for me. If it is feasible, perhaps I’ll add an issue to that effect. I’d consider a PR though that may be beyond me.

Terrific, that worked perfectly. I was expecting a monstrous compile, but it was quick. Perhaps installing elixir from source isn’t such a bad idea.

1 Like

I think it might be possible, but I’m not sure that we could make it very reliable. But I’m glad you got it working by using the Elixir source!

1 Like