itopiz

itopiz

I am working with MS SQL server and I am trying to build a complex query with ecto which contains a CTE:

WITH 
	timeslots AS
	(
		SELECT cast('2021-01-09T00:00:00' as smalldatetime) as slot

		UNION ALL
 
		SELECT dateadd(minute , 1, slot)
		FROM timeslots
		WHERE dateadd(minute, 1, slot) < '2021-01-15T00:00:00'
	),

After reading the documentation for CTE with Ecto, I was trying to build the “initial query” but I did not get far.

Indeed, I do not see how I can select a value not coming from a table (e.g.: SELECT cast('2021-01-09T00:00:00' as smalldatetime) as slot).

Is there a way to do that without using fragments?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

cenotaph

cenotaph

sure you can but haven’t tested nested, inner queries but cast and rest can be done.

def update_title(post, new_title) do
  query =
    from "posts",
      where: [id: ^post.id],
      update: [set: [title: ^new_title]]

  MyApp.Repo.update_all(query, [])
end

More examples can be found at

cenotaph

cenotaph

Btw if you are dealing with datetime, please check out these before investing unnecessary time into fragments() like I did

Intervals

Ecto supports following values for interval option: "year", "month", "week", "day", "hour", "minute", "second", "millisecond", and "microsecond".

Date/Time functions like datetime_add/3, date_add/3, from_now/2, ago/2 take interval as an argument.

All of these will execute on the SQL server and use the native underlying functions

edisonywh

edisonywh

Wow thanks for sharing, I had been using Timex for this purpose but built-in solution is great!

itopiz

itopiz OP

Thanks for your reply but it does not answer my question. Perhaps I did not explain correctly.

How would you write SELECT 1 with Ecto? Here I select a simple literal and it is not done over any table.

cenotaph

cenotaph

Ecto.Adapters.SQL.query(MyRepo, "SELECT $1::integer + $2", [40, 2])
{:ok, %{rows: [[42]], num_rows: 1}}
itopiz

itopiz OP

Once again, I did not explain correctly. Sorry for that.

In my initial question, I wrongly wrote “without using fragments”. What I meant was “without using raw SQL”.

mindok

mindok

I’m not going to answer your question again :smile:

In the sample above, I’d personally opt to “inject” the empty slot once the results have come back from the database. Adding to the front of a list in Elixir is a very “cheap” operation.

e.g.

  slots = [%{slot: ~D[<whatever date>]} | Repo.all(more_basic_query)]

I suspect the situation you are asking about (effectively “UNION”-ing a hand crafted row of data with database results) doesn’t fit within the Ecto model. I had another look through the documentation and I can’t see anything that comes close. So you will either need to use a fragment, or go for the option I noted above, or build a view that performs the UNION on the database side.

hauleth

hauleth

No, there currently is no way to use Ecto.Query with no or non-relation FROM (so no stored procedures for you either).

NaN

NaN

This can be done but its hacky. However, IMO it should not be removed (PLEASE DONT REMOVE THIS we want the query scrubbed without the FROM condition) taking from SQL injection you can use -- to rem out the FROM condition.

MyRepo.all(
      from(d in "_",
        select: %{
          test: fragment("to_timestamp('11:12:02.020.001230', 'HH:MI:SS.MS.US') as slot--")
        }
      )
    )
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews