D4no0
I am trying to use docker images built by bob and uploaded to dockerhub in the hexpm repo in combination with gitlab runners to automate tests and thing like credo. I have exqlite in my project and it is compiled from source at the moment.
I have tried to use several images so far:
- hexpm/elixir:1.15.5-erlang-26.0.2-ubuntu-focal-20230126
- hexpm/elixir:1.15.5-erlang-26.0.2-debian-bullseye-20230612-slim
It seems that none of these images contains the utilities like make to build from source. I was able to fix this by installing build-essentials manually, however I am not a big fan of this solution.
Is this the expected behavior? Shouldn’t these images contain all the prerequisites for building elixir projects?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 16 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
D4no0
I will try to recreate the setup tomorrow and come back to you.
warmwaffles
Do you have a demo or an example of this happening? I will take a dive into the build tooling and see if I need to fix a bug or document the build requirements better.
D4no0
The zig build system is very promising, in theory it should solve all these problems for c/zig files with minimal effort, namely creating a zig build file. I will attempt soon to make a elixir library that integrates this, and hopefully we will forget about make, cmake, automake forever.
dimitarvp
Welcome to “modern” computing, where a C/C++ build toolchain is still (a) required and (b) extremely difficult to have in a deterministic manner.

That’s why people push for Zig and Rust to become the baseline tools instead. Sadly it’s taking a while.
D4no0
I am not building a docker image that will be used in production, this is the CI stage that executes commands like: mix test, mix credo, mix dialyzer. All what needs to be done at this stage is compile the project and execute the command.
Nor do I, the whole idea of using these images is the fact that you have the elixir and OTP with a specific version, creating custom images would defeat the entire propose of using images from hexpm.
I will just say the same thing that was marked as the correct answer, the build system for files that compile to native code is a big mess and there is absolutely no guarantee that even if
build-essentialswere to be installed on the docker images, it would work for majority of the projects that contain NIFs.dimitarvp
I would install
build-essentials, compile my stuff, then just copy the output of the compilation in another Docker stage. That’s why we have multi-stage Dockerfiles.(Or you begin with a more dev/build friendly image and just copy stuff to the minimal hexpm container. That might be an even better idea actually.)
I wouldn’t want to reinvent the minimal images already provided. But if you’re feeling brave and independent, you can always make your own minimal image stepping on e.g. distroless or alpine/wolfie. I personally wouldn’t.
D4no0
This is strange, because it always compiles from source, is there some special option that needs to be passed?
I am using it from the dependency
ecto_sqlite3.warmwaffles
I saw mention of
exqliteand thought I introduced a bug. But forexqliteto work with your base image you will need toapt-get installdependencies. There are precompiled binaries already with the release so it shouldn’t be necessary.D4no0
Yeah, we’ve talked before about this here.
I am planning to participate with this idea on an upcoming hackaton (can’t remember the name, something overflow), basically using the same approach tailwind is using currently with a mix of the options provided by burrito.
LostKobrakai
Yeah, I’d love to see zig being adopted more to compile NIFs.