mbklein

mbklein

I submitted a couple PRs to a library that were both accepted and merged, but without a new release. I have a library I’ve been waiting to release, but it depends on the aforementioned library (and those changes), and Hex (obviously, reasonably) won’t let me publish with a github-based dependency. I’ve tried to ping the maintainer in a couple PRs and issues, but I’m also wary of becoming a PITA and I hate calling people out publicly (which is why I haven’t mentioned either the library or the maintainer here). I understand everyone has plenty of competing priorities, and being a pest to people who share their code for free isn’t a great way to make friends or have productive collaborations. :slight_smile:

It’s been about three weeks since my last Github issue about it. So, from a community standpoint, is my best option:

  1. Fork and release the dependency so I can release my own package, with the intention of switching the dependency back over if/when the original gets a new release?
  2. Release without a hard dependency, but document the fact that the github version needs to be added to mix.exs also for the time being?
  3. Fork and don’t look back?
  4. Keep being patient and try to approach the maintainer via other means?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I cannot answer your question, but I can tell some projects have been forked for the same reasons.

If You try to contact the maintainer, but have no responses… You might have no choice but to fork.

BTW If You publish on hex, your solution 1 might not work because I am not sure it can be reverted. See this post :slight_smile:

mbklein

mbklein OP

Thanks, @kokolegorille. I did see a bunch of hard forks, but I think this is a somewhat different case. The project hasn’t been unmaintained or abandoned; it just has a pretty slow turnaround. The creator/maintainer has a bunch of actively maintained libraries, and I imagine it’s hard to shift focus and keep up. I might try reaching out via a DM on this forum and volunteer as a co-maintainer in case that helps.

mbklein

mbklein OP

Success! :+1:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews