docjazither

docjazither

Hi OGs,
How can I delete the 1st pair in a map ?
Thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 10

msimonborg

msimonborg

AFAIK maps are unordered, so there is no “first”. You could enumerate over it, collecting all but the first in the enumeration, but I think it would be an arbitrary selection so I’m not sure there’s much difference between that and Map.delete(map, random_key)

docjazither

docjazither OP

In this situation, my keys are atoms or lists, or at least I need to iterate through a map except 1st one, maybe something like Enum.each(map, fn key, value -> if key == Enum.at(map,0) do end end ?

msimonborg

msimonborg

map
|> Enum.to_list()
|> tl()
|> Enum.into(%{})

A simple way but maybe not most performant and doesn’t solve the problem I stated above

adamu

adamu

Please post your code showing how your map is constructed. As @msimonborg said, there is no such concept of the “first” item in a map.

docjazither

docjazither OP

Actually, I can do this trick [ first_key_to_delete | _] = Enum.to_list(my_map) thanks to @msimonborg

msimonborg

msimonborg

Just for the sake of experiment, try the following in iex

m1 = Enum.map(1..100, &{&1, &1}) |> Map.new()
m2 = Enum.map(1..1000, &{&1, &1}) |> Map.new()
Enum.at(m1, 0) == Enum.at(m2, 0)

There is no consistent concept of the “first” in a map, otherwise this should return true no matter how large or small you make the range. If you are trying to skip or remove the first pair of a map, you will most likely get inconsistent results as the size and composition of the map changes.

mindok

mindok

One option for deterministic behaviour is to sort the keys before picking the first one to use for the delete.

joaoevangelista

joaoevangelista

map
|> Enum.sort() # use deafult erlang ordering
|> tl() # get the tail, the rest but the first
|> Map.new()

Check also Enum.sort_by/3 for custom ordering

Kurisu

Kurisu

Which key do you call the first key of a map and how you know it is still the first key ? I think that’s what the other replies are trying to tell you.

iex(13)> %{a: 1, b: 2} == %{b: 2, a: 1}
true

You can see that for Elixir even if I invert the order of the above maps there are considered to be the same map.

iex(14)> %{b: 2, a: 1}
%{a: 1, b: 2}

And above you can notice that when Elixir is evaluating %{b: 2, a: 1} it sorts the keys differently. So if one thinks that :b will always be the first key, he could be totally wrong.

I think it’s better to know the name of the key you want actually to be deleted when manipulating maps.

docjazither

docjazither OP

Ah yep, in this case, all the keys’ properties are quite similar, and I just want to delete first one, that’s all

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews