sheharyarn

sheharyarn

Delta :high_voltage:

An expressive format to describe documents’ contents and how it changes over time :card_file_box: :hourglass_not_done:

The Delta format is a strict subset of JSON, is human readable, and easily parsible by machines. Deltas can describe any rich-text document, includes all text and formatting information, without the ambiguity and complexity of HTML.

It is also suitable for Operational Transform and can be used in real-time, collaborative document editors (e.g. Slab, Google Docs). A walkthough of the motivation and design thinking behind Deltas are on Designing the Delta Format.

While the package is still v0.1.0 on Hex.pm, we’ve been using it in production for almost 4 years before we open-sourced it, so we’re very confident in our implementation. Feel free to drop any feedback or questions you might have!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

That looks incredibly useful :slight_smile:

Thanks for the hard work.

paulstatezny

paulstatezny

@sheharyarn If I may offer some constructive feedback, I think the lack of any documentation is going to be an obstacle for a majority of people to try this out.

I mean that in the kindest way possible! :heart:

My curiosity was piqued by your post, but when I went to look in HexDocs all of the functions were completely undocumented and there wasn’t a main page that said anything about the project.

I’d love to learn more about what the project does without having to dig through the codebase. :sweat_smile:

Edit: Just realized that there is some information available in the README on GitHub.

sheharyarn

sheharyarn OP

You’re absolutely right. We’re still working on the docs at the moment, but OT itself is such a complex subject, that I believe it’s better to use real-world examples to show how it works and the different pieces connect.

I recently published a post that gives an overview of some of the features and how they can be used:

I’m currently working on another post that will dive into more detail into the real-time collaboration part using Phoenix channels.

gdub01

gdub01

This looks awesome!

Out of curiosity, how do you render this content? Like, do you render this to HTML using Quill in javascript or do you have different ways to render this content on the server to a particular target such as HTML?

For example I think flutter has a library to render quill’s format which I think this mirrors? So I’m wondering if you render this in a way that a client can display it client-side only or also on the server?

sheharyarn

sheharyarn OP

On the frontend, we do in fact use Quill to render the content. We don’t prerender it on the server, and keep the format as-is to for receiving changes, transforming the contents and sending it to clients.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews