GoulvenClech
Hi everyone!
I work for a French company and, with our marine territories, our customers live in many timezones. So I’m wondering what is, in 2022, the correct way to display dates in browser timezone with Phoenix?
I saw on a topic of 2020 this solution:
<time id="updated_at" datetime="2020-06-30 12:21:17Z"></time>
<span id="updated_at_view" phx-update="ignore"></span>
<script>
const view_element = document.getElementById('updated_at_view');
document.addEventListener('phx:update', () => {
const source_element = document.getElementById('updated_at');
view_element.innerText = new Date(source_element.getAttribute('datetime')).toLocaleString();
})
</script>
Is this really the best solution? Shouldn’t I use a hook? Isn’t there an elixir solution?
Thanks for your help ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
The reason to do it in JS is that the server doesn’t know or need to know the timezone. If the server is already aware of the users timezone however you can surely handle that in elixir as well.
mathieuprog
Note that
Temporalis coming to JavaScript for all your date needs: GitHub - tc39/proposal-temporal: Provides standard objects and functions for working with dates and times. · GitHubThere is a polyfill and its API is pretty stable now.
kip
12 different timezones for France and its overseas territories! And a huge longitudinal span as well!
mindok
Interesting. China would be easier for programmers, but who wants it to get light at 3.05am? Or 9:40am for that matter. Time in China - Wikipedia
GoulvenClech
What do you think would be the easiest and cleanest way to retrieve the browser’s time zone in Elixir?
LostKobrakai
You need to figure out a way for the browser to supply it to the server. There are many ways to accomplish that depending on your setup.
karlosmid
Hi!
This script tag is what I have in layout/app.html.eex
And a call in other template:
<%= @conn.cookies["_testivator_timezone"]) %>kokolegorille
If You use liveview, You can set timezone, timezone_offset in the live socket, this way You can retrieve this information server side, and do the translation in the server.
But as other have also mentionned, I prefer to do it client side
HappyBee
not sure it would help you, but below JavaScript code results in producing the date and time in user’s time zone.. just give it a try in the browser’s console tab.
new Date("2020-06-30 12:21:17Z")baldwindavid
This is what I do. Admittedly, it felt a little strange at first, but since Liveview is mostly replacing javascript in my app, it made sense to bring knowledge of the user’s timezone to the Elixir side. I’m also doing a lot more with calendaring than just displaying the user’s time though. If my needs were simple enough, I’d probably still just stick with displaying via javascript.