DNA - the next big thing in data storage?

All the data that is on the internet - would be in the size of a shoebox

That’s some claim! Will it ever be feasible/reality though? Certainly sounds very interesting…

Video:

4 Likes

@AstonJ Yeah, I heard about this technology. If I remember correctly it’s possible to save all Hollywood movies in memory of the size of a postage stamp and scientists had a problem with writing speed.

3 Likes

You know what’s a better way to store data? Moving individual atoms around (which even IBM has been doing expensively for many decades now). :wink:

The issue is ease of storage and ease of access, which DNA would not be good for either yet I’d think. This is why I think light based medium’s will continue to be popular (whether multi-layer plastic discs like DVD or so forth, to small but dense ‘cubes’ using multiple laser wavelengths).

4 Likes

@OvermindDL1 Wow, I don’t heard about such technology. I really would like to have so small and capacious storage. To be honest 60TB SSD in worst scenario could be enough for me for only month. :077:

Think that old (big) computers also wasn’t good for most people. Technology will be better, maybe not as fast as Elixir community is growing, but you know … everything needs different time to prepare and deploy it for everyone. :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s tech that’s been around for a long long time, but it is still too cost prohibitive to become ‘mainstream’ due to the large array of lasers of different wavelengths needed. I think it was first demo’d back in the 90’s or so… >.>

Maybe someday. ^.^

3 Likes