thoughtarray

thoughtarray

I know beam makes a scheduler per CPU (OS thread); so theoretically I can do something at exactly the same time up to the number of CPUs I have.

What is the best way to kick them all off at the same time? Is my only option to send (via Process.send or Kernel.send) a message to a process running on each scheduler? If I do that, the messages are sent out serially. Any alternative techniques or should that be considered fast enough in this ecosystem?

I posted a similar post, but I think it was too complex to bother with.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

The type of question you’re asking I think requires some definitions. There is, at the end of the day, no such thing as truly “at the same time” there is “measured to be within a time bound by an observer”. How tight does the time bound need to be? Why? Who is observing this?

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I think you need to clarify what you mean by “at the same time”, as it’s not well-defined with communicating processes. All it takes is one piece that forces serial behavior to mess things up.

A better approach is to code things to not need guarantees about simultaneity. For instance, in a network-performance situation like your previous post, instead of:

  • start a bunch of connections and a timer simultaneously
  • wait for all the connections to finish
  • read the timer

something like:

  • start a bunch of connections quickly
  • each connection starts a timer when it begins
  • each connection reads its timer at the end
  • each connection sends the timing to the main process
  • the main process waits for all the results, and then averages etc them appropriately
schneebyte

schneebyte

You could check how others are doing it.

Maybe you could tell your processes to start at a specific point in time

then just have them sleep and check time repeatedly.

/one more thing
I don’t think you can choose the specific scheduler a process is on.
:erlang.system_info(:scheduler_id)
I guess if you spawn enough processes under load it should be spread out to all available schedulers.

thoughtarray

thoughtarray OP

Thanks for the replies, all!

@benwilson512, I think the context you might be seeking is in the linked original post. That post didn’t gent any replies; so I made this post much shorter and simpler. By “at the same time”, I mean parallelism. The goal is to squish that time bound as much as possible in BEAM. I know for other languages the solution would be to start a thread per CPU core.

@al2o3cr, yeah, I think my desires are leaving the realm of practical and entering theoretical (at least in BEAM land). I do have a desire for that TCP SYN to drop in on server/listener to be parallel as possible in BEAM land. Insofar as your recommendation, it’s totally the practical way to do it and may end up what I do if I can’t find what I’m looking for.

@schneebyte, I have seen stressgrid, but not the others. Thanks for the links! I had considered a timer-based kick-off, but wasn’t sure the best way to do it in Elixir/Erlang since I was under the impression that time was pretty squishy in BEAM land.

Regarding choosing specific schedulers, I thought PartitionSupervisor would help partition its children across schedulers. Do I have that messed up in my head?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews