thoughtarray

thoughtarray

Hello, this is my first post, and I hope it isn’t already obviously answered in another post. I did my best to look.

Problem statement

I want to do something as quickly as possible at the “same time” (as possible). To simplify the realm of possibilities, let’s say I’m using :gen_tcp to send a packet.

What I do and don’t know

I know:

  • :gen_tcp is process-less and returns a Port
  • Some strategies for spawning large numbers of processes such as using PartitionSupervisor to spawn a DynamicSupervisor per CPU core

I don’t know:

  • How to handle ports (or what they are really in the context of a network socket)
    • Should I make one per CPU core, one per worker process, or something in-between?
    • Is NimblePool relevant here (can’t tell from the README)
    • Can I have multiple TCP connections/session per port?
  • How to signal to all workers to do something at the same time
    • How can I do this without causing a signal sender bottleneck? Can Phoenix PubSub cover this? Is there a simpler approach without building a bespoke pubsub myself?

Additional notes on what I want:

  • To make as many TCP socket connections as possible to more closely represent independent client connections

Context (not required reading)

I want to build a stress testing tool in Elixir that will be used against transports HTTP1.x and websockets. The point is to test the efficiency/throughput differences between the two approaches.

I know there’s a difference between the two transports in that the former is non-stateful and latter stateful, but I do want to be fair to HTTP1.x and use keep-alive; so maybe my request implementation can be similar-ish for a more apples-to-apples comparison.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews