grych

grych

Creator of Drab

Hi there,
As you might know, I have been dealing with Aphasia since half a year. I could not speak at all (sorry for my English!) in any language, so I did not talk to you :slight_smile:
Anyway, what to do with Drab? Is there someone interested in developing it?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hrishikeshchoudhari

hrishikeshchoudhari

I’m sure the Elixir community would love to have a LiveView alternative around..

gts

gts

Hello Tomek, I’m very glad to see you around again, I hope you are recovering well !!

It is certainly a big question to imagine which could be the future for Drab. Drab is a really great library but, as you pointed out in your old post, LiveView have now stole the scene, since it is well integrated in Phoenix, have many contributors and assure a dependable future to its adopters.

To have a future, I think that Drab needs to become something non competitive to LV (like it is now, but that he cannot compete with), I mean something that adds a big value for developers that can’t be found in LV.

I remember that you had proposed the Drut project (here, and here), that could be an interesting approach, especially if it evolves as the enabler for directly and easily supporting the standard interactive frameworks like React, Vue, etc. in a Phoenix app with specific declination, as DrabReact, DrabVue, …

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Well I’m using it and have built up modules to automate some of my custom stuff. ^.^;

If you want, you can move it to a drab organization or just keep it in yourself, feel free to add me and I’ll try to keep it updated and working and fixed, in addition to whoever else wants to? :slight_smile:

It has a LOT more functionality than LiveView, LiveView focuses on just the Drab.Live part of functionality but it lacks a lot more functionality at present, so Drab is currently still unreplaceable in my projects, so…

The big thing about Drab is it can integrate and control not just the DOM (which is what LiveView controls), but quite literally anything on the client side, which is significantly more powerful, and it’s all very easy to do.

Honestly Drab could still become very big if it gets a lot more add-on modules for controlling client-side frameworks. :slight_smile:

15
Post #3
AstonJ

AstonJ

I don’t have any suggestions for Drab myself (other than what you have done - to ask what Drab users think) but just wanted to say I hope you are doing ok Tomek :smiley:

grych

grych OP

Creator of Drab

Hey GTS, yes, I still have it in my memory. Unfortunately it is not so easy for me, but in some days…

grych

grych OP

Creator of Drab

This is really nice from you!
Let’s do it.

joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro

@grych

I just hope you get well soon.

I am not sure how much can I help in this library but try the issue list.

Best regards,

Joaquin Alcerro

grych

grych OP

Creator of Drab

Cool, thank you very much!

gts

gts

of course I will be happy to continue to try to give, like in the past, my little contribute to the project!

gts

gts

I think it could be useful to start thinking about a Drab v2. This could be both a signal to the community to attract more users and contributors (“Hey, Drab is big and still growing, LV is not the only thing out there”), and more motivation for ourself (creating is funnier than maintaining). In my view V2 should grows in:

  • Performances: be much more faster than v1 in the management of big number of assigns (at least as fast as LV);
  • Scalability: support big numbers of simultaneous users;
  • Compliance: fully support PubSub/GenServer events triggered by other modules;
  • Productivity: build an intermediate UI framework for better and easier support of UI elements and other standard frameworks.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews