max_wen

max_wen

i am following along with the Phoenix Up & Running guide at https://phoenixframework.readme.io/docs/up-and-running
and when I try to use ecto to create a database (Postgresql) I get the following error

$ mix ecto.create

17:55:35.631 [error] GenServer pid<0.215.0> terminating
** (RuntimeError) Connect raised a CaseClauseError error. The exception details are hidden, as they may contain sensitive data such
as database credentials.

(postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/utils.ex:40: Postgrex.Utils.parse_version/1
(postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:497: Postgrex.Protocol.bootstrap_send/4
(postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:353: Postgrex.Protocol.handshake/2
(db_connection 1.1.3) lib/db_connection/connection.ex:135: DBConnection.Connection.connect/2
(connection 1.0.4) lib/connection.ex:622: Connection.enter_connect/5
(stdlib 3.11.2) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

Last message: nil

State: Postgrex.Protocol

** (Mix) The database for HelloPhoenix.Repo couldn’t be created: an exception was raised:
** (RuntimeError) Connect raised a CaseClauseError error. The exception details are hidden, as they may contain sensitive data such
as database credentials.

    (postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/utils.ex:40: Postgrex.Utils.parse_version/1
    (postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:497: Postgrex.Protocol.bootstrap_send/4
    (postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:353: Postgrex.Protocol.handshake/2
    (db_connection 1.1.3) lib/db_connection/connection.ex:135: DBConnection.Connection.connect/2
    (connection 1.0.4) lib/connection.ex:622: Connection.enter_connect/5
    (stdlib 3.11.2) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

The only suggestions I found was to update Postgrex. I ran mix deps.update postgrex and this did not fix it.

Finally I checked config/dev.exs and username/password are set to “postgres”. I used PgAdmin3 to confirm this is a valid login.

So at this point I am stuck.

Ubuntu 19.10

postgres (PostgreSQL) 11.7 (Ubuntu 11.7-0ubuntu0.19.10.1)
installed from Ubuntu repo via apt-get

thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Try setting show_sensitive_data_on_connection_error: true in the config block for your repo.

max_wen

max_wen OP

Thanks.

I had to google to find how to update that setting and it seems to be a common question. Based on another ElixirForum answer I updated config.exs thus

> # This file is responsible for configuring your application
> # and its dependencies with the aid of the Mix.Config module.
> #
> # This configuration file is loaded before any dependency and
> # is restricted to this project.
> use Mix.Config
> 
> # General application configuration
> config :hello_phoenix,
>   ecto_repos: [HelloPhoenix.Repo]
> 
> config :hello_phoenix, HelloPhoenix.Repo,
>   show_sensitive_data_on_connection_error: true
> 
> # Configures the endpoint
> config :hello_phoenix, HelloPhoenix.Endpoint,
>   url: [host: "localhost"],
>   secret_key_base: "+zOPUugL3TISBlX4gNLI9tMhjgxP94HKofCcGqooGzkgoUCojlUJJal7QMacPgGw",
>   render_errors: [view: HelloPhoenix.ErrorView, accepts: ~w(html json)],
>   pubsub: [name: HelloPhoenix.PubSub,
>            adapter: Phoenix.PubSub.PG2]
> 
> # Configures Elixir's Logger
> config :logger, :console,
>   format: "$time $metadata[$level] $message\n",
>   metadata: [:request_id]
> 
> # Import environment specific config. This must remain at the bottom
> # of this file so it overrides the configuration defined above.
> import_config "#{Mix.env}.exs"

and still I get the following error on mix ecto.create

21:03:52.509 [error] GenServer #PID<0.327.0> terminating
** (RuntimeError) Connect raised a CaseClauseError error. The exception details are hidden, as
they may contain sensitive data such as database credentials.

    (postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/utils.ex:40: Postgrex.Utils.parse_version/1
    (postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:497: Postgrex.Protocol.bootstrap_send/4
    (postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:353: Postgrex.Protocol.handshake/2
    (db_connection 1.1.3) lib/db_connection/connection.ex:135: DBConnection.Connection.connect/2
    (connection 1.0.4) lib/connection.ex:622: Connection.enter_connect/5
    (stdlib 3.11.2) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Last message: nil
State: Postgrex.Protocol
** (Mix) The database for HelloPhoenix.Repo couldn't be created: an exception was raised:
    ** (RuntimeError) Connect raised a CaseClauseError error. The exception details are hidden, as
they may contain sensitive data such as database credentials.

        (postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/utils.ex:40: Postgrex.Utils.parse_version/1
        (postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:497: Postgrex.Protocol.bootstrap_send/4
        (postgrex 0.12.2) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:353: Postgrex.Protocol.handshake/2
        (db_connection 1.1.3) lib/db_connection/connection.ex:135: DBConnection.Connection.connect/2
        (connection 1.0.4) lib/connection.ex:622: Connection.enter_connect/5
        (stdlib 3.11.2) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

should the setting be updated differently? thanks

1player

1player

I don’t know exactly what is going on but postgrex seems to be failing parsing a version, I expect the database’s…

You’re on PostgreSQL 11.7 which is from Feb 2020, but your postgrex is very old: v0.12.2 was released in Sep 2016.

Try updating your postgrex library version, the latest is v0.15.3.

mix deps.unlock postgrex
mix deps.update postgrex

And/or change the version requirement in your mix.exs file

max_wen

max_wen OP

$ mix deps.unlock postgrex
$ mix deps.update postgrex
warning: found quoted keyword "test" but the quotes are not required. Note that keywords are always atoms, even when quoted. Similar to atoms, keywords made exclusively of Unicode letters, numbers, underscore, and @ do not require quotes
  mix.exs:52

Resolving Hex dependencies...
Dependency resolution completed:
Unchanged:
  connection 1.0.4
  cowboy 1.1.2
  cowlib 1.0.2
  db_connection 1.1.3
  decimal 1.8.1
  ecto 2.0.6
  file_system 0.2.8
  gettext 0.17.4
  mime 1.3.1
  phoenix 1.2.5
  phoenix_ecto 3.0.0
  phoenix_html 2.10.5
  phoenix_live_reload 1.1.7
  phoenix_pubsub 1.1.2
  plug 1.3.6
  poison 2.2.0
  poolboy 1.5.2
  ranch 1.3.2
New:
  postgrex 0.12.2

Ran your commands and it installs 0.12.2 again. Why wouldn’t it install the latest?

lucaong

lucaong

Can you show your deps in mix.exs? Most likely, postgrex is pinned to a specific version.

If that’s the case, you can change the version pinning to something like ~> 0.15.

max_wen

max_wen OP

  defp deps do
    [{:phoenix, "~> 1.2.5"},
     {:phoenix_pubsub, "~> 1.0"},
     {:phoenix_ecto, "~> 3.0"},
     {:postgrex, ">= 0.0.0"},
     {:phoenix_html, "~> 2.6"},
     {:phoenix_live_reload, "~> 1.0", only: :dev},
     {:gettext, "~> 0.11"},
     {:cowboy, "~> 1.0"}]
  end

this is the default setting after mix phoenix.new

NobbZ

NobbZ

Because there is a lot more of dated dependencies, probably something puts a constraint on postgrex that makes it unable to update.

If you put {:postgrex, "~> 0.13"} in your mix.exs and then mix do deps.unlock postgrex, deps.update postgrex again, it will tell you where constraints are comming from.

PS: Also do not put >= as a version constraint unless you really know what you are doing.

PPS: ecto 2.0.6 had a constraint on postgrex that basically narrows it to 0.12.x.

PPPS: You really should ditch that old, outdated and deprecated guide in favor of the new hexdocs hosted: Up and Running — Phoenix v1.8.8, how have you actually found that other one? Those aren’t linked from the phoenix homepage anymore for years…

max_wen

max_wen OP

ok thank you but I did not put that. this is the default mix.exs file. but what you say makes sense. here is the result

Resolving Hex dependencies...

Failed to use "db_connection" because
  ecto (version 2.0.6) requires ~> 1.0
  postgrex (versions 0.14.0 to 0.14.3) requires ~> 2.0
  mix.lock specifies 1.1.3


Failed to use "db_connection" because
  ecto (version 2.0.6) requires ~> 1.0
  postgrex (versions 0.15.0 to 0.15.3) requires ~> 2.1
  mix.lock specifies 1.1.3


Failed to use "postgrex" (versions 0.13.0 to 0.13.5) because
  ecto (version 2.0.6) requires ~> 0.12.0
  mix.exs specifies ~> 0.13

so how do I decipher this? Does ecto need updating? thx

NobbZ

NobbZ

As I said already, the best is to ditch the guide you follow, and remove the empty project you have so far. Then you mix archive.uninstall phoenix_new, as that is deprecated and only creates outdated project skeletons.

Then you start again by following the new guide, updating all those dependencies like NodeJS, Elixir, Erlang while you go, though at least the latter two usually do not need extra updating.

max_wen

max_wen OP

sorry i did not read the 3rd PS. I will do that and follow the new guide on hexdocs. thanks again.

$ mix archive.uninstall phoenix_new
Are you sure you want to uninstall /home/max/.mix/archives/phoenix_new? [Yn] Y

Done!

UPDATE: I followed the Install instructions and Up and Running at hexdocs.pm and saw the Phoenix Framework page being served on localhost. No hiccups even with ecto. thanks for the assistance.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews