mbaeuerle
I basically have a similar setup like the one described in the sandbox docs for a shared mode connection, which looks like this:
setup do
:ok = Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox.checkout(Repo)
Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox.mode(Repo, {:shared, self()})
end
test "create two posts, one sync, another async" do
task = Task.async(fn ->
Repo.insert!(%Post{title: "async"})
end)
assert %Post{} = Repo.insert!(%Post{title: "sync"})
assert %Post{} = Task.await(task)
end
Which runs fine.
Now when I change this example slightly and wrap both inserts in a transaction:
test "create two posts, one sync, another async" do
Repo.transaction(fn ->
task = Task.async(fn ->
Repo.insert!(%Post{title: "async"})
end)
assert %Post{} = Repo.insert!(%Post{title: "sync"})
assert %Post{} = Task.await(task)
end)
end
This leads to a timeout:
** (EXIT from #PID<0.478.0>) exited in: GenServer.call(#PID<0.479.0>, {:checkout, #Reference<0.0.3.2012>, true, 15000}, 5000)
** (EXIT) time out
.10:04:12.191 [error] Postgrex.Protocol (#PID<0.383.0>) disconnected: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) owner #PID<0.478.0> exited while client #PID<0.478.0> is still running with: exited in: GenServer.call(#PID<0.479.0>, {:checkout, #Reference<0.0.3.2012>, true, 15000}, 5000)
** (EXIT) time out
I am wondering if this is because I can’t use transactions with the shared mode or if I am missing something else. I am using PostgreSQL 9.6.2, Ecto 2.1.4 and Elixir 1.4.2
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
michalmuskala
The answer is that Ecto transactions, in general, can’t span multiple processes.
chanon
Sorry to reply to an old thread … but does this mean that it is not possible to use
Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandboxto test any functions that create their own transactions?Or just functions that spawn processes that create their own transactions?
hubertlepicki
You probably want to test the spawned functions separately in that case. But you can create nested transactions form the same process, this should not be the issue at all. As long as you stay within the same process you should have no issues.
For the cases you have to spawn processes that do database operations, I would go with combination of
async: falsein your test cases, and switching to shared mode: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox – Ecto v2.2.8The end result should be that these tests will not run in parallel with other tests, so possibly would be slower than doing it in parallel, but there is nothing stopping you from havihng some tests running in parallel, and others not.
chanon
Thanks for the claification!
al2o3cr
You can definitely do both things with
Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox, but depending on exactly how the process is spawned you may need to manually ensure the connection gets shared usingEcto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox.allow.IIRC, on Elixir 1.8+ the original poster’s use of a Task spawned from the test process will automatically share the DB connection.
ndan
Ecto solves it by avoiding asynchronous preloading when a connection is checked out (inside test or transaction)
Thanks to arnodirlam