Elixir Blog Posts

Thanks. That really makes sense. I will take your point seriously and will come up with good concepts.
Once again thanks for the valuable feedback :bouquet: :bouquet:

1 Like

Hey all,

I’ve been honing my Elixir/Phoenix skills lately through what I’m calling “practical code katas”. I’m basically taking the idea of a code kata, and applying it to more practical and useful “forms” for professional, working web developers.

Check out the article and let me know what you think about this kind of thing.

I know a lot of developers see it as a waste of time, but I find the repetition to be really valuable and an efficient way of sharpening and fine-tuning every aspect of my process.

6 Likes

@vikram7 - this link is broken:

Bring Sanity to Your Data Structures with Elixir Pattern Matching

1 Like

An approach to deploying Elixir Releases in the wild with Kubernetes and Helm.

Deployment is Coming!

2 Likes

Why Erlang is the only true computer language
So far the only language I know that reports errors in the same language you write code is Erlang. If you know more, please let me know in the comment section below.

3 Likes

Create an Elixir Phoenix API — Part 2— Generate an API Swagger Specification

3 Likes

I’ve been working on a side project that requires I do some web crawling. I decided to write an article (complete with cheesy drawings) outlining everything I’ve learned about using Elixir to build a very bare bones web crawler. Check it out!

Learning to Crawl - Building a Bare Bones Web Crawler with Elixir

6 Likes

Oh, I love your illustrations! Every technical blog post should have them!

4 Likes

https://medium.com/@blackode/what-everyone-ought-to-know-about-elixir-difference-hd-and-list-first-8423b54cd108

This is an interesting learning exercise. But to me, User Authentication is very boring, orthogonal to the inner workings of the rest of the app, and not something I want to waste much effort on. The fact that this blog post is a thing convinces me that we need a ready-to-use solution for Phoenix (more configurable than Coherence).

EDIT: Actually, user authentication is not that bad, but user registration, with the “traditional” email + password + email confirmation + password reset is that bad

1 Like

I’ve just published a blogpost on a simple getting stated version of keeping a history of a ecto schema’s field like for example the status of an entity:

2 Likes

An approach in leveraging OpenTracing with your Elixir applications.

OpenTracing Elixir? Yes Please!

2 Likes

The spans now show that we’ve eliminated the stair case and gone for the superior elevator scheme.

Lol!

2 Likes

Yo!

I’ve got an especially nerdy article this time around.

I’ve been re-reading The Little Schemer again (which is amazing - check out the link in the post if you haven’t read it), and I managed to finally wrap my head around the Y combinator. I wrote an article that uses anonymous functions in Elixir to show what the Y combinator is, why it’s interesting, and how it can be derived.

Check it out: Grokking the Y Combinator with Elixir

Hopefully some of you are as into this kind of thing as I am, and hopefully the article makes this very mind-bending topic (for me, at least) somewhat clear.

5 Likes

Hehe, I love the Y combinator, there are even legit uses for it in Elixir (like building anonymous functions that are required to close around their scope to make recursive closures) and there are people that have made the Y Combinator in libraries (like expede’s libraries). This is a very good article, approaching it from a different way than the usual way that I see it introduced. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has Elixir got named funs yet, or are they planned? One major use of the Y combinator disappeared in Erlang when we got named funs, doing recursive funs. Though they could be done other ways as well.

But the Y-combinator definitely is cool.

3 Likes

As in named (not just bound to a variable) lambdas? Interesting… Is the main use case of that recursion in (not-so-)anonymous functions?

I agree that the Y combinator is cool. I guess I was more so trying to show what an interesting construction it was, rather than give some practical advice. Some things just deserve to be marveled at.

1 Like

The Y-combinator really is cool but it is not how I would normally do recursive funs, at not before named funs. I would just add an extra argument which is a reference to the fun itself and use that for the recursive call.

1 Like

Not that I’ve seen at least?

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Deprecation warning says to use :naive_datetime but I’d like to use :utc_datetime