Elixir Blog Posts

A thread here on the forum inspired me to tackle optimizing a string processing script in Elixir. Documented the steps I took, the performance difference and the tradeoffs.

7 Likes

It looks like your blog is currently down? Although maybe Iā€™m just having issues with .dev domains.

@axelson Itā€™s up here, what do you get when you nslookup blog.jola.dev? I get:

ā•°ā”€āž¤  nslookup blog.jola.dev
Server:         127.0.1.1
Address:        127.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   blog.jola.dev
Address: 107.20.198.228
1 Like

Working ok here too :023:

Nice one @jola - I love seeing forum inspired talks/blogs :003:

Looks like pow added a custom resolver for both .dev and .test. So a sudo rm /etc/resolver/dev fixed it.

Thanks @jola for a great article, I particularly liked that it touched on the context to help you decide if you want to make these tradeoffs for speed at the expense of clarity/simplicity. (And thanks for finally giving me the impetus to fix my systems .dev domain handling!)

4 Likes

Hey guys :wave:, a quick article about hashing files in Elixir :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Hey all! This is my latest post for the Hashrocket blog, an interview with Jeremy Huffman, maintainer of Dialyxir. It came from my experimentation with the tool, and wanting to learn more.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve (re)started a blog and written my first post along with accompanying github repo. I welcome feedback.

4 Likes

This is more about the clever use of OpenSSH features than Elixir properly, but it is a problem that we faced and took some time to solve, so here it is. Any feedback is very welcome.

https://medium.com/@marcio_lopes/connect-to-remote-elixir-node-through-a-bastion-host-28c4ff4bdd51

3 Likes

I have published a blog post about composing queries to preload associations and filter the data in Ecto. Enjoy!

4 Likes

As suggested on Twitter, letā€™s post this here too :slight_smile: https://andrealeopardi.com/posts/connection-managers-with-gen_statem/

8 Likes

Hi all! Hereā€™s a post about Phoenix internals: https://blog.griffinbyatt.com/2019/04/15/Phoenix-Not-Magic-1.html

8 Likes

I really enjoyed this. You had me at:

If you are new to Phoenix, you may only recognize the Endpoint as ā€œthe thing you sometimes tweak configs inā€

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty awesome start! Iā€™d might recommend making Chapter 1 about Plug instead since Phoenix is built on it (or if you already have a post about Plug then link to it at the start of the Endpoint chapter). Definitely something Iā€™ll link around to people online. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty awesome start! Iā€™d might recommend making Chapter 1 about Plug instead since Phoenix is built on it (or if you already have a post about Plug then link to it at the start of the Endpoint chapter). Definitely something Iā€™ll link around to people online. :slight_smile:

Thanks! The idea of tackling both Plug and Phoenix in one go was pretty daunting, but itā€™s something Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be circling back to.

2 Likes

The way I should have been testing genservers (2016)

Last Wednesday I went to Elixir Meetup in Cracowā€™s headquarters of Erlang Solutions. It was supposed to be about basics of Elixir and how pipe operator influenced the software design, but I learned another priceless lesson. Iā€™ve been testing GenServers callbacks wrong whole timeā€¦

http://blog.neontree.pl/2016/11/18/How-should-I-test-genservers.html

5 Likes

Freshly out - a new blog introducing Telemetry :purple_heart:
For those who are not familiar with Arekā€™s and Elixir core teamā€™s work on a new open source project - get up to speed guys!

Also here is Arekā€™s talk from the last ElixirConf EU

7 Likes
7 Likes

@jackmarchant Entirely agree! Iā€™ve always done the make each ā€˜appā€™ a library and just have a main app whoā€™s whole purpose is to depend on them, pass names between them for any needed linkages, and handle configs. Iā€™ve always found it so much better than umbrellas.

3 Likes
2 Likes