Onor.io

Onor.io

Hi all,

I’m trying to use the Windows Installer for Elixir to install on Win 10. I run the installer and it gets to the point where it tries to download precompiled.zip and it fails. I have no doubt it’s a corporate firewall that’s blocking the download. What I was wondering is if anyone could suggest any way to workaround this? That is, download precompiled.zip manually and then point the installer at the downloaded location or something of that sort? It does seem to successfully download the OTP stuff–just balks on the precompiled.zip as far as I can tell.

FWIW,

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

CharlesO

CharlesO

Have run into this severally at client sites (both windows server and windows 10)

What I do is simply request that the machine/account be granted the required internet permissions.

You may even have further issues if you need to run mix.deps down the line

Onor.io

Onor.io OP

Yeah I was afraid of that. I think the chance of getting them to unblock this is pretty slim. Thanks anyway Charles!

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’d suggest you install and use WSL2 so you have an actual Linux experience inside Windows. Then you could use asdf which is the widely accepted method of installing Erlang / Elixir.

crispinb

crispinb

Agree that WSL2 offers the best experience on Windows (assuming @Onor.io doesn’t need to do anything Windows-specific). But mightn’t that fall foul of the same firewall strictures?

There is a precompiled win32 install available for Elixir: Installing Elixir - The Elixir programming language. And the Windows builds of Erlang at Downloads - Erlang/OTP look like full compiled packages. I haven’t tried this though.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Ah, that’s not even a discussion. If you’re supposed to do programming but can’t download your development environment then you might as well escalate your IT ticket to the CTO and take a 6-month long paid vacation until they sort out their dysfunctional bureaucracy.

cmo

cmo

Can you download from the links here GitHub - hexpm/bob: The Builder · GitHub ?

Onor.io

Onor.io OP

Thanks for all the suggestions!

In fairness to my employers I am trying to convince them to look at Elixir. And blocking the download of .zip files containing binaries is just a security measure. I can, of course, ask them to make an exception; I was just trying to see if there were any way I could proceed without having to trouble the security folks. They’re, justifiably, reluctant to grant special exceptions.

CharlesO

CharlesO

Just now… :upside_down_face:

This is new project on a client site, it’s kinda hard to get clients to give “more than usual internet access”

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D:\Paperless\PeopleCost\server>mix deps.get
Could not find Hex, which is needed to build dependency :tzdata
Shall I install Hex? (if running non-interactively, use "mix local.hex --force") [Yn] y
** (Mix) httpc request failed with: {:failed_connect, [{:to_address, {'repo.hex.pm', 443}}, {:inet, [:inet], :etimedout}]}

Could not install Hex because Mix could not download metadata at https://repo.hex.pm/installs/hex-1.x.csv.

Alternatively, you can compile and install Hex directly with this command:

    mix archive.install github hexpm/hex branch latest


D:\Paperless\PeopleCost\server>mix archive.install github hexpm/hex branch latest
* Getting new package (https://github.com/hexpm/hex.git - origin/latest)
starting fsmonitor-daemon in 'C:/Users/!85010528/AppData/Local/Temp/mix-local-installer-fetcher-TvUxvA/deps/new package'
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/hexpm/hex.git/': Failed to connect to github.com port 443 after 21122 ms: Timed out
** (Mix) Command "git --git-dir=.git fetch --force --quiet --progress" failed

D:\Paperless\PeopleCost\server>

is hex down?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Looks like you couldn’t connect to GitHub?

CharlesO

CharlesO

can connect from the browser on the same server… strange.

also i’m using an elevated console

D:\Paperless\PeopleCost\server>mix local.hex --force
** (Mix) httpc request failed with: {:failed_connect, [{:to_address, {'repo.hex.pm', 443}}, {:inet, [:inet], :etimedout}]}

Could not install Hex because Mix could not download metadata at https://repo.hex.pm/installs/hex-1.x.csv.

Alternatively, you can compile and install Hex directly with this command:

    mix archive.install github hexpm/hex branch latest


D:\Paperless\PeopleCost\server>

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews