torrocar

torrocar

Hi all,

I have configured my neovim according to this thread - thanks for the awesome work on that one, btw!
As I am working on an Arch-based Linux system (Artix, to be precise), I had installed the language server from the AUR, where the package version 0.13.0 worked nicely.
However, after upgrading to package version 0.14.6, every time I open an elixir file I’ll get the message Client 1 quit with exit code 1 and signal 0 after a few seconds. Restarting the server with :LspStart will result in the same message.
I have tried installing elixir-ls via mason as well, which will display the same error. Downgrading to v013.0, which worked formerly, also doesn’t help.
I even created a new user, set up neovim from scratch for him, and ran into the same problem. This is also true when I use the exact init.lua-file given in the tutorial - with the path to elixir-ls set correctly, of course.

Checking the lsp.log reveals the following error, which unfortunately I can’t make much of:

[START][2023-06-15 13:47:58] LSP logging initiated
[ERROR][2023-06-15 13:47:58] .../vim/lsp/rpc.lua:734	"rpc"	"/home/torro/.local/share/nvim/mason/packages/elixir-ls/language_server.sh"	"stderr"	"Runtime terminating during boot ({badarg,[{io,put_chars,[standard_err"
[ERROR][2023-06-15 13:47:58] .../vim/lsp/rpc.lua:734	"rpc"	"/home/torro/.local/share/nvim/mason/packages/elixir-ls/language_server.sh"	"stderr"	"or,[_]],[{_},{_},{_}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,exec_fun,2,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,run,1,[{_},{_}]},{init,start_em,1,[]},{init,do_boot,3,[]}]})\r\n"
[ERROR][2023-06-15 13:47:58] .../vim/lsp/rpc.lua:734	"rpc"	"/home/torro/.local/share/nvim/mason/packages/elixir-ls/language_server.sh"	"stderr"	"\r\nCrash dump is being written to: erl_crash.dump..."
[ERROR][2023-06-15 13:47:59] .../vim/lsp/rpc.lua:734	"rpc"	"/home/torro/.local/share/nvim/mason/packages/elixir-ls/language_server.sh"	"stderr"	"done\r\n"

I’d appreciate any help or pointers where to continue searching a solution!

Thank you for your trouble!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

TunkShif

TunkShif

Which Erlang/OTP version are you using? elixir-ls seems not working properly with OTP 26 from my test. Try downgrade to OTP 25 and recompile elixir-ls.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I am using Elixir 1.14.5 and Erlang 25.3.2.2 and compiling ElixirLS locally with those versions, I use LunarVim with it and have no problems.

I am not keeping up super closely with all the developments but I am seeing increased reports on the forum that people have issues with Erlang/OTP 26 so I’d hold on to 25 for the time being.

TunkShif

TunkShif

BTW, I’m an ArchLinux user, too. The erlang package from arch official repo has been updated to 26 recently. If you’re using pacman to update all software packages to the latest version, including erlang, then it can break elixir-ls. I’ve encountered the same issue a few days ago. I’d recommend you use asdf to manage different erlang/elixir versions. You can install it from AUR under the asdf-vm package name.

torrocar

torrocar OP

Thank you for your quick responses!
Indeed I have updated all packages to their newest versions and OTP is installed as v26 via the Erlang package, so that may well be the problem.
I’ll go get asdf and report back if that solves the issue.

linusdm

linusdm

Just out of curiosity: how do you compile elixir-ls locally and make it play nice with the Mason plugin that’s managing lsp’s for lunarvim?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I don’t use Mason’s installed ElixirLS. I have it locally and update it from GitHub once every 24h and build it like so (this is a snippet from my own homemade “update my machine” script, hence the pushd and popd commands):

(
  pushd ~/bin/elixir-ls &&
  git reset --hard HEAD &&
  git pull &&
  mix deps.get &&
  MIX_ENV=prod mix compile
  MIX_ENV=prod mix elixir_ls.release &&
  popd || return
)

I also make sure it uses the latest stable combo of Elixir and Erlang. I use asdf local for that, though maybe that’s not optimal.

Then I have this in my LunarVim’s init file:

local root_pattern = require("lspconfig").util.root_pattern

require 'lspconfig'.elixirls.setup {
  filetypes = { "elixir", "eelixir", "heex", "surface" },
  root_dir = root_pattern("mix.exs", ".git") or vim.loop.os_homedir(),
  cmd = { "/Users/dimi/bin/elixir-ls/release/language_server.sh" },
}

Though I should probably take another look at the filetypes.

linusdm

linusdm

Oh, that’s a nice way to go about it! Thx for sharing. Does that still keep all the keybindings in place that lunarvim provides? And does Mason still work for other lsp’s? I’ll definitely will try it.

My method was finding out where mason puts the installed lsp (somewhere in a shared directory, specifically for lvim), and then make the release output in that directory (using the -o flag of mix release). But that didn’t feel right. I’m also not using the bleeding edge, like you do every 24 hours.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I don’t use all of them but those that I use: yes, they still work.

Yep. You can override each separate LSP without affecting anything else.

torrocar

torrocar OP

Yes, downgrading to OTP 25 did the trick!
In the process I learned about using the asdf version manager, which now is a new addition to my toolbox.
Thanks again to all who took their time to answer to this thread!

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Or you can use rtx, something I just replaced asdf with today. :003:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews