QueenSveta
I’m planning on learning Elixir, however, the new edition of the book, Elixir in Action, doesn’t come out until July 30th(in Canada anyways).
Until that time, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good text only tutorial, much like this Haskell tutorial, or free PDFs (Note: I’m not asking for pirated PDFs, if you do provide a PDF, make sure the author intended the book to be distributed for free, for example, Modern Perl). I don’t mind video tutorials, but I have a limited bandwidth cap.
I’m looking for a tutorial that introduces the basic concepts and maybe even building a small program.
Trending in Chat/Questions
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
peerreynders
You can get the Elixir in Action 2e epub/pdf right now:
Your time is supposed to be worth something.
Other than that Introduction to Mix is the next thing to try after going through the Getting Started guide.
https://repo.hex.pm/guides/elixir/elixir-getting-started-guide.epub
https://repo.hex.pm/guides/elixir/mix-and-otp.epub
https://repo.hex.pm/guides/elixir/meta-programming-in-elixir.epub
AstonJ
I agree - EIA2 is out now as an ebook and imo you can’t beat professionally published books - EIA in particular is a fantastic book
(and don’t forget you can get 35% off any ebooks from Manning and PragProg with your forum code - as per Peer’s screen grab above
- just go to their threads here for details).
If not, here are some other free resources that might interest you:
QueenSveta
@peerreynders - Thanks for the link to the book! I guess Canada will get the paperback version a little later.
@AstonJ - Joy of Elixir exactly what I was looking for, thanks!