karang
I am not sure what has changed but now ElixirLS does not work for me anymore. I am using the latest vscode (1.77.3) and the latest elixir ls extension (0.14.3). I have elixir 14.2 and OTP 25 installed through asdf. I get the following messages when starting with the command code . :
ElixirLS - asc_enfusion client: couldn't create connection to server.
The ElixirLS - asc_enfusion server crashed 5 times in the last 3 minutes. The server will not be restarted. See the output for more information.
Here is the output:
Starting ElixirLS release v0.14.3
Running in /home/me/my_project
** (Mix.Error) Command "git --git-dir=.git fetch --force --quiet --progress --tags" failed
(mix 1.14.2) lib/mix.ex:513: Mix.raise/2
(mix 1.14.2) lib/mix/scm/git.ex:132: Mix.SCM.Git.checkout/2
(elixir 1.14.2) lib/file.ex:1607: File.cd!/2
(mix 1.14.2) lib/mix/dep/fetcher.ex:61: Mix.Dep.Fetcher.do_fetch/3
(mix 1.14.2) lib/mix/dep/converger.ex:213: Mix.Dep.Converger.all/9
(mix 1.14.2) lib/mix/dep/converger.ex:146: Mix.Dep.Converger.all/7
(mix 1.14.2) lib/mix/dep/converger.ex:95: Mix.Dep.Converger.all/4
(mix 1.14.2) lib/mix/dep/converger.ex:74: Mix.Dep.Converger.converge/4
I do have some settings in my .gitconfig as well. Any clues on what is going on? Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Egis
Try starting elixir-ls in your project dir. By running command
elixir-ls. It might show the actual error.iosif
Hey, just happened to me as well. did you find any solution?
karang
I removed my .gitconfig file and now it works fine. Didn’t quite get to the bottom of this. I would try @Egis suggestion to see if it gives a different or more helpful error.
sechosebio
I fixed using @zachallaun solution from here reverting Elixir-ls to a previous version and it works fine. In my case, I reverted to v0.13.0.
lukaszsamson
@karang v0.14.7 should surface the git error. In one report I’ve seen the reason was blocked connection to github in corporate network and incorrectly set git proxy.
neiby
I was just firing up elixir on a new laptop with a fresh install of VSCode and ran into this same problem with ElixirLS. I also had to revert back to v0.13.0. If I upgrade to even v0.14.0, it breaks again. Pretty weird.
neiby
I was able to solve this accidentally with the help of others while working on a different problem. I’m running on a Mac, which uses LibreSSL 3.3.6 instead of the regular openssl. This was causing the crypto module to be ignored when I installed erlang via asdf. The solution was to use Homebrew to install openssl, then tell KERL (which asdf uses) to use this version of openssl:
export KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS="--without-javac --with-ssl=$(brew --prefix openssl@3"Then I reinstalled erlang via asdf and all is well now. The crypto module is no longer ignored during erlang installation and I can use the latest version of ElixirLS with no problem.
kushalj
I just fixed this on my Windows WSL Ubuntu setup.
TL;DR
What I did:
sudo apt remove elixirsudo apt-get install libssl-devasdf plugin-add erlangasdf plugin-add elixirasdf install erlang 26.1.1asdf install elixir 1.15.6-otp-26asdf global erlang 26.1.1asdf global elixir 1.15.6-otp-26Basically, the
sudo aptapproach is broken. The way to test it is to git clone the ElixirLS repo and try to compile it.mix deps.getand thenmix compileIf this works, there’s good bet that VSCode doing the same thing (compiling ElixirLS) will work and connect.
I removed the elixir install and reinstalled using the embedded elixir approach. - however there is a dependency (documented here: [WSL - mix deps.get] The application "crypto" could not be found - #9 by thelucassampaio) - which is that you need to install libssl first and then use asdf to install-compile erlang and then elixir.
If this worked then the ElixirLS you cloned into a folder should compile. If not, see what error you are getting and go search - this is how I worked my way through this.
Only took 4 hours
It may not be the “correct” approach but at least it’s working for me now.
jameskent
Run
mix local.hexcommand