Suricopathe

Suricopathe

Hello everyone,
I am pretty new to the Elixir world and at the same time, I feel like I fall in love with the language, the ecosystem around it and the community.

Currently, I am trying to follow basic elixir exercise and will try to improve upon playing with the Phoenix server and maybe LiveView as well.

So far, I have setup my environment :

  • Installed Erlang OTP (27.1) (Directly downloading the Windows installer from the website)
  • Installed Elixir (1 .17.3) (Directly downloading the Windows installer from the website)
  • Installed the ElixirLS VSCode extension (v0.23.1)
  • Opening an Elixir project in VSCode (Basic exercise for Exercism : Hello World in Elixir on Exercism

At this point I have the following error :

When I take a look at the PATH that is logged, I can see the bin directories of both my elixir and erlang installation.

[Extension Host] Failed to run ‘elixir’ command. Current process’s PATH: C:\Program Files\Exercism;C:\Program Files\Git\mingw64\bin;C:\Program Files\Git\usr\bin;C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\resources\bin;C:\Program Files\Elixir\bin;C:\Program Files\Erlang OTP\bin

(I trimmed the path logged of unnecessary other paths, to ease readability)

The ElixirLS VSCode extension doesn’t work and it’s a pain to not have a good code editor working properly.
I already tried to restart my laptop several times, uninstall and re-installing everything from scratch.

Do someone experience the same issue ? Can somebody have another idea that I cant see ?

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 8

krwenholz

krwenholz

If you open the interactive terminal, can you run elixir in there? I’ve found debugging path locations from that terminal to be helpful. I install elixir and friends in a devcontainer with nix, so I’ve hit path issues a number of times.

You might also try running > Reload Window. I know you’ve rebooted, but the window reload can pick up env changes that happen after VSCode starts (a “common” issue for nix+devcontainer).

Suricopathe

Suricopathe OP

Hi!
Thank you for taking the time to help! :slight_smile:

So to add information based on your answer

  1. Yes, I am able to use the elixir CLI from within the VScode terminal. And of course from other terminal outside VScode without any issue.

  2. I did try the ‘Reload the window’ action from VScode without any change. Upon the extensions startup I still have the same error message as in my first post.

FYI, I saw on another post it might come from Windows path with blank in the middle (like “Program Files”). So in one of my previous attempt, I already tried to put the Elixir folder in another folder like (C:/ElixirFolder/Elixir) and put that path in my environment variable. I ended up with the same error message AND the path without blank logged in the error log available in the VSCode developer console.

Somehow, the PATH is good but the elixir command cannot be run…

Is it possible that I have to give particular permissions to the elixirLS extensions ? Or VScode ?
I am out of ideas :smiley:

krwenholz

krwenholz

I wish I were of more help haha.

Things to consider:

  • Which version of the extension are you on? Last release was August 10, so I suspect you aren’t behind, but I see several mentions of Windows in there.
  • VSCode version?

You could also dig through the issues for anything Windows or path related, but ¯_(ツ)_/¯

itzmidinesh

itzmidinesh

Do you have any other elixir related extensions installed in VS code? Also, are you able to use elixir -v and erl in terminal outside of VS code?

psantos

psantos

I guess the problem is that, ExlirLS is trying to run elixir as elixir instead of elixir.bat since you are on windows.

First, navigate to: C:\Program Files\Elixir\bin and check how the executable is named.

With ElixirLS you can have a setup file. Try to find this file: %APPDATA%\elixir_ls\setup.bat and examine the content in there. Make sure everything there is correct.

Suricopathe

Suricopathe OP

Hello,
Thank you for the different answers. Let me add some info :

@krwenholz

  • VS Code version : 1.93.1
  • Extension ElixirLS version : v.0.23.1

I digged a bit but nothing really helpful unfortunately :frowning:

@itzmidinesh
This is the only Elixir related extension in my VS Code setup. And yes I am able to use the erl and elixir command in my windows CMD, as well as my powershell and my git bash terminal. Either inside or outside of VS Code.
And it works like a charm :slight_smile:

@psantos Thank you this might be a good hint. But I can’t found the %APPDATA%/elixir_ls folder. It is not created in my %APPDATA% folder. Either the server crash before going to the step where it created this cache folder.
Either there is something else during the execution preventing the creation of it.

Do you have more insights when this elixir_ls folder is created ?

Thank you for your support :slight_smile:

itzmidinesh

itzmidinesh

Can you check if you have any custom settings for ElixirLS setup in VS codes setttings.json?

Also, is this error happening in all projects? Try setting up a new phoenix/Elixir project from terminal and then open in VS code.

v4rm4n

v4rm4n

Faced the same issue on Windows, with a similar setup for Erlang and Elixir.

Running VScode as admin (or spawning via code . from an Administrator Powershell) solved it for me.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews