kuon

kuon

I just finished my first LiveView powered app. And I am really happy about the whole app structure and organization.

The only thing missing from LiveView is mobile app/offline support.

So I had an idea. I’m quite sure I am not the first, but I could not find any discussion of it.

What about some sort of SDK with an embedded phoenix server running on the client. I know erlang can be compiled on both iOS and android (or at least it used to work).

Basically it would be:

phoenix (server)->phoenix (client)->webview (client)

I know it is not a simple project, as it requires quite a few elements:

  • Compiling erlang and elixir for iOS and Android
  • Creating a caching DB for client data (ETS saved to file?)
  • Sync protocol and conflict resolution between the two phoenix instances

Live View wouldn’t need any changes, but views, instead of using ecto to load data, would use some library that run the code remotely, and gracefully fallback in case of the user being offline.

I have a rough idea of the architecture, and again, I know it is not a small task, but as removing JS has been so successful (for me, and I think others), I’d like to extend the idea to mobile app.

What are your thoughts? If there is some real interest, I might dedicate times to this.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

There is an Elixir/Beam to Javascript compiler that could likely be leveraged for that. Otherwise if you are making an app for installation just use the native ecosystem.

marcalchca

marcalchca

Hi, has this idea been abandoned?
I’m very much interested in being able to use LiveView for offline scenarios.
I’d like to build PWAs as an easier to maintain alternative for native mobile apps.

So your idea about having an offline “version” of LiveView features, would be perfect.

Thanks for letting me know.
I’m new to Elixir / Phoenix, planning to reorient my consultancy to full-stack development.

Best regards
Marc

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews