ymtszw
Distillery has Boot Hooks, which can be utilized to e.g. run ecto migration scripts before application startup during deployment.
I am basically following “Running Migrations” guide in distillery, wiring the task onto pre-start hook.
Now that Elixir 1.9 and mix release come out, are there similar mechanisms?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Couldn’t you run them as part of application startup but before starting handling user input (like e.g. starting the phoenix endpoint)
josevalim
We don’t have hooks on purpose.
You can run them when your application starts, as proposed by @LostKobrakai. Alternatively, you can add your own script to the
bindirectory, that you use to run migrations and then start the release. You can do this by adding a step to yourmix.exs:where:
And you put the extra scripts in
rel/bin.ymtszw
I will examine both approaches. Thank you @LostKobrakai and @josevalim.
I am slightly inclined to “bring scripts with release” method since I would like to decouple scripts from application implementation.
BTW,
I am curious about the rationale here. Simplification, perhaps?
LostKobrakai
Imo the “steps” abstraction is more powerful and composable. One could probably build a small purpose build library, which handles all the dirty work of such boot hooks and supply its assembly to the steps listed in mix.exs.
josevalim
Exactly!
hubertlepicki
So it’s recommended to either call the migrations as mix task during deployment, separately from starting the application now, or maybe I should run the function that does migrations on every application start up?
I honestly don’t see much harm in doing the later but I may be missing something.
Phillipp
Interesting if it could lead to race conditions in a distributed setup. But, well, maybe in such a setup, one does not restart all nodes at the exact same time.
hubertlepicki
I think migrations run wrapped in a transaction (one transaction per migration if I recall) but yes, that’s a concern since I can imagine situation where with multiple application instances starting up things can go sideways.
mindok
Yes, I can confirm that this approach can go sideways. Unwinding the resulting mess as a consultant pays the bills, but I’d rather spend the time creating new stuff. Much better to separate applying migrations from app execution.
hubertlepicki
To be fair, thinking about it now, I think running migrations on app start up and as post-deploy hook that’d run on all instance is equally bad. So this problem can also happen with distillery / hooks triggering running migrations.