Giesch
I’m using asdf-vm, and trying to get documentation lookup for erlang modules to work.
I compiled erlang with docs, and I can run (eg) ‘erl -man timer’ to get a man page. But in iex, if I run ‘h :timer’, I get ‘:timer was not compiled with docs’.
I’m wondering if this is just not supported yet because of doc formats, or if I have some version mismatch with the asdf precompiled elixir binary.
Here’s the versions I’m using:
$ elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 21 [erts-10.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]Elixir 1.8.1 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 21)
$ cat ~/.tool-versions
erlang 21.1
elixir 1.8.1-otp-21
Ultimately, what I want is to be able to look up erlang functions’ docs in emacs with ‘,-h-h’ via the lsp.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Eiji
In this topic:
There is a link to
Erlang’s bug tracker:In which there is a comment:
Finally there is
22.0-rc1version ofErlanginasdf-erlangplugin, but I did not tried it yet. As you can see issue have stillopenstatus and it’s also not yet resolved, so it’s most probably not yet added to it.For more information you would need to ask somebody from
Erlang Core Teamas I did not yet found anything other. Maybe somebody is already working on this … Author of previously mentioned comment is assigned to this ticket, so there is a chance to see stable support for it really soon.brightball
I was trying this last night and had the same issue. With asdf in the erlang readme it lists out all of the package dependencies that need to be installed on Ubuntu but even when I installed them I was getting not found messages about the docs and wx.
Giesch
So, it sounds like the docs just won’t work until the transition to a new format is done. But you’ll still want to get erlang compiled with wx so you can use the observer.
brightball
I’m just wondering if there is a special setting needed. The installation tells me it’s missing packages that are definitely installed.
I’m going to try installing via the PPA instead and see if it makes a difference.
NobbZ
Which packages are this? Please be aware that the installer might tell you to install
libwxbut you actually needlibwx-develor something. Most Linux distributions do this separation of libraries and their header files.brightball
Following the instructions here:
https://github.com/asdf-vm/asdf-erlang/blob/master/README.md#ubuntu-and-debian
I’m not in front of it right now, but from memory it would be missing wx, fop, xsltproc, and odbc
brightball
Seems to be working now. You have to search for some different names of packages but eventually it all gets working. Ubuntu – Error