Error module name in object code is Elixir

Hmm, im not sure what’s going on here. I think it started when I updated to Elixir 1.6 && Erlang/OTP 20.
The list of errors is endless, it spits errors on controllers, views etc. Until a few weeks ago everything was fine.

Btw, the umbrella application is running ok, just many errors on application boot.

13:46:58.538 [error] beam/beam_load.c(1412): Error loading module 'Elixir.App.Web.SubscriptionController 5':
      module name in object code is Elixir.App.Web.SubscriptionController

13:46:58.538 [error] Loading of /Users/jos/Documents/Projects/app_umbrella/_build/dev/lib/app_web/ebin/Elixir.App.Web.SubscriptionController 5.beam failed: :badfile

13:46:58.538 [error] beam/beam_load.c(1412): Error loading module 'Elixir.App.Web.SubscriptionController 6':

13:46:58.538 [error] Loading of /Users/jos/Documents/Projects/app_umbrella/_build/dev/lib/app_web/ebin/Elixir.App.Web.SubscriptionController 6.beam failed: :badfile

13:46:58.539 [error] beam/beam_load.c(1412): Error loading module 'Elixir.App.Web.SubscriptionController 7':

13:46:58.564 [warn] Logger has 500 messages in its queue, which is above :discard_threshold. Messages will be discarded until the message queue goes back to 75% of the threshold size

:flushed:

Have you rebuilt (including dependencies) and restarted after upgrading everything?

I removed the _build dir :slight_smile: I think thats enough …?
and of course restarted :slight_smile:

Yeah removing the build folder issues a full rebuild the next time you build.

So the problem does still persists then?

I removed the _build many times, after some time the errors starting to appear again …

Windows or Linux?

Do you you (or some dependency) try to rebuild and reload modules on the fly?

Looks a bit like some conflict resolution on write when a file is opened already… Windows is known to have problems with files that are open already and someone else tries to overwrite or even delete them.

macOS, nope just a regular phoenix umbrella application …

In development mode? Are you using phoenix autoreload feature?

What filesystem is the application on?

Is the application dockerized or virtualized?

Can you share a minimal project that does have the same problems?

Have you watched if this messages come especially after touching and saving code and does the number increase monotonically?

in dev mode yes, the fs is APFS (Encrypted) and the app is not dockerized.

as we speak the errors are gone, and everything is running smooth.
I will check when it is starting to appear again …

ah, aaaand the errors are back … just made a minor change to a html.eex file

Hmm, if you can reliably reproduce it but the same git repo does not reproduce elsewhere, maybe an asciienema session showing wiping the _build and how you compile and/or edit files and recompile and such? Also show the iex console, make sure fully updated, etc…?

Also, please include in the asciinema an find _build -name '*.beam' right after the problem occured.

Also please check if the problem persists when you clone your problem completely from scratch in a different location of your FS. Ideally you do it once on the APFS formatted drive, and once on an external device formatted with a more legacy FS, efs4, NTFS, HFS+, or something else known to work, and report if the problem is reproducable on the corresponding location(s).

Also if you have the chance to give another APFS formatted Mac a try, please do it and include the result in your report.