wingyplus
Hi,
I start working on the fork version of Elixir GRPC. What I’ve done is the past few days:
- Support Elixir 1.11+
- Support OTP 23+
- OTP 25 tested only Elixir 1.13 only.
- Partially work on PR Handle OTP 23 24 by dbernheisel · Pull Request #205 · elixir-grpc/grpc · GitHub
- Upgrading libraries. Partially work on PR Update CI and bump deps. by danirukun · Pull Request #215 · elixir-grpc/grpc · GitHub
- Work on gun 2.0.0-rc.2. Some project requires to override due to some libraries still using 1.3+. (use official gun 2.0.0-rc.1 version (instead of grpc_gun) by tyler-nguyen · Pull Request #183 · elixir-grpc/grpc · GitHub)
- Upgrade cowlib. No more override it. This could fix Bump cowlib to v2.9.1 in examples by takasehideki · Pull Request #181 · elixir-grpc/grpc · GitHub.
The work on the next iteration:
- Make interop tests pass
- Improve client & server adapter.
- That’s the pending issue Support more HTTP2 clients · Issue #199 · elixir-grpc/grpc · GitHub
The reason that I fork is I start working on GRPC for the past few weeks and found that library quite inactive (or may active but slow progress).
Since I’m quite new on both GRPC and Elixir. If someone expertise in this area, you can suggest or report an the GitHub issue tracker.
Thanks.
Trending in RFCs
There was some time when I started thinking about giving a boost to Lambdapad, the initiative from @garretsmith in Erlang that I loved wa...
New
Hey everyone — I’m putting together a practical, code-first book on building production-ready business applications with Phoenix LiveView...
New
You set up environments, each with its own tools, its own data and its own limits, and programs get evaluated in them. The same program r...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
D4no0
I wanted to work too on this library when I had free time. What you need to start with is to ask the maintainer what the actual state of library is, because there are some checked TODOS, however it is not very clear whether they were implemented or not.
On the other side, if you want help on the issues, please make sure the issues are formulated clearly with additional description on what needs to be done.
cjbottaro
Thanks for doing this. I’ve often wanted to use gRPC in Elixir, but eventually just get frustrated and give up on it.
beepbeepbopbop
Since development on elixir-grpc has more or less effectively stopped, I’ve used grpcbox | Hex instead. While it’s a tad trickier to work with (given that it’s all Erlang), you can definitely have it interoperate with Elixir code provided that you generate the Erlang stubs. I’ve created an example repository that shows how that can be done rather naively by utilising an umbrella project here: GitHub - nathancyam/boxy: A project showing grpcbox and Elixir compatability · GitHub
If metrics are anything to go by,
grpcboxseems to have more downloads if you take a look at the Hex.pm metrics, but since theelixir-grpcdocumentation actively encourages users to pull directly down from Github, it doesn’t account for much.D4no0
This library seems more maintanable than
elixir-grpc. I think the best solution is to create wrapper documentation just like the telemetry module, as to avoid elixir wrappers that remain behind in implementation.