Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP, and Phoenix (Pragprog)

I’ve gone through the first 50 pages of your book and it’s been great! Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Lance, thank you for your book. It is amazing, I am really enjoying it! Will there be something related on how to persist data? Thank you! :wave: :thumbsup:

6 Likes

Thanks @ryanswapp! So glad you’re enjoying the book!

3 Likes

Wow, I really enjoyed what I’ve gone through so far! Was pleased to see a game as an example project, being a game developer myself it boosted my interest a lot :slight_smile: Thanks for your work!

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @kpanic. Glad you like the book!

I know we won’t cover storing and retrieving application state the way we might with a standard MVC web app. Since the book isn’t in its final form yet, I’m not sure whether we might touch on some form of persistence somewhere. Until it’s done, it’s not done. :grinning:

3 Likes

@lance, if you do decide to do a chapter on persistence can you use Mnesia or CouchDB?

2 Likes

This book sounds fantastic. I’m gonna convince my boss to order me one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Glad you’re enjoying the book, @artvin.

2 Likes

@jeramyRR, I think it’s really unlikely that we would cover any specific technology for persistence.

2 Likes

I would personally stick to Phoenix defaults (Postgres) as I imagine that’s what most will be using.

Also, re updating to Phoenix 1.3, I would definitely recommend doing so, particularly if there’s not much in it - people love books that cover the latest most up-to-date versions (one of the reasons so many of us love Pragprog, they seem to continually update their books) :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I woke up early this morning and got a chance to read a few chapters already before work and after getting home.

Loving the book already lance.

A great perspective, technically and otherwise, (including the flower child version of a wwII era game).

4 Likes

I knew asking for CouchDB was a long shot, but Mnesia seems doable right?

2 Likes

Thanks @Cortrah! So glad you appreciate the book and the game!

2 Likes

This is an instant purchase because the first chapter is called “Build a Game Engine in Pure Elixir”. I love books that start with non-trivial projects instead of “let’s build a todo list”.

5 Likes

Just purely from a sales perspective, I’d strongly advise you to update it to 1.3. People are going to look at the book, see that Phoenix 1.3 is out and then see the book covers 1.2…and that will make them hesitate. You’re going to have a much longer sales cycle for this one if it gets updated for 1.3.

12 Likes

@lance sure, I understand :wink: Maybe you could put some hints in a paragraph covering storage possibilities.
Anyhow, keep up the good work! thanks again! :book:

2 Likes

+1 for expanding into persistence.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more!

2 Likes

Nice book, already started the journey, its cool that you just start diving in into the business logic, but I really miss Tests. After the first Module (Coordinates) it would be better to just start with tests. It would actually save much more time, because you don’t need to go to the console and test it manually.

3 Likes

This book does not teach Phoenix, however. You probably should have some knowledge of it when starting reading it.

3 Likes