General Elixir Talks

Kicking this thread of with the now infamous talk by Dave Thomas (or at least the best recording of it I can find) - please add any you feel are worth sharing :slightly_smiling:

5 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Phoenix Talks

Josh Adams - Introduction to Elixir for Rubyists

1 Like

The Joy of Functional Programming - Venkat Subramaniam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__dDAD0Y_WU

Functional programming design patterns by Scott Wlaschin

5 Likes

Does anyone have good quality versions of the confs that took place at Erlang Factory?

The versions I found are quite bad: Design by Contract

It’s hard to hear people speaking and the code and slides are unreadable.

1 Like

This any better? (Seems ok on my MBA speakers)

Slides: http://www.erlang-factory.com/static/upload/media/144923155489324designbycontracts.pdf

Seems better, thank you :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Making Sense of Elixir Directives

What are Directives?

• Way to declare, import and reference other Modules
  • Elixir has four of them
  • But, but, why?

^ Think require in Ruby, import in Python

^ Elixir has four, all with slightly different purposes. Based on conversation I was having I find them confusing so I dug in a bit

^ Wrote up my gripes, presented them to Jose & Chris McCord. Summary is they agree it’s confusing, but have a hard time figuring out how to change things already set in motion. So, this is my effort to add some clarity to the situation.

1 Like

Nerves Project - Garth Hitchens

3 Likes

The Climb Experiencing the Rise of Elixir from the Inside - Bruce Tate & Dave Thomas

1 Like

Just watched the talk above ^^ and have to say it’s very inspiring! “We are all Sherpas”.
We are, and even by being part of the community (adding momentum) we are doing our bit :023:

Edit: this looks good too!

1 Like

RubyBelgium Talks - Andrew Fecheyr: Introduction to Elixir

1 Like
4 Likes

What’s Ahead for Elixir? By José at ElixirConfEu 2016

Elixir Elevate by @gregvaughn at the first Elixir Conf (2014)

8 Likes

I hesitate to favorite because of humility. Thanks for mentioning my old talk. I just finished José’s talk and it’s really great. I’m looking forward to using GenStage and GenBroker. That’s just what my company needs to introduce Elixir into production.

3 Likes

Ecto - the Past, the Present, the Future

4 Likes

This looks good: From a Ruby on Rails Monolith to Elixir and Elm Microservices (ElixirConfEU 2016)

Keynote Empire City Elixir 2016

3 Likes

Giving Back, building your first package By Brian Cardarella at Empire City Elixir Conference

1 Like

Did a quick look through don’t think this has been posted yet, but this is the talk that got me really excited about elixir.

Elixir Conf 2014 - Keynote: Think Different by Dave Thomas

5 Likes