General Elixir Talks

I watched your ‘Intro to OTP’ the other day and it cleared many confusions I had about OTP! This is definitely the video that I would share with anyone new to OTP! Good job and thank you, Jesse. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did really enjoy and find your talk helpful. Thank you! One question - the example shows new_state being created from state. Since state is no longer used because we’re using the new_state, what happens to the memory that was allocated for the data in state? We can’t keep doing updates like that without something filling up… Thanks again!

The video of the talk I gave at Rubyconf Portugal is online along with the slides. It’s a look at Elixir & Phoenix focusing on the explicit part of the title. Namely, how do Elixir and Phoenix make my programming life better apart from just raw speed? The talk is aimed at people not yet too familiar with Elixir & Phoenix and should serve as a good introduction, especially for ruby folks. It’s high level so touches upon a lot of topics that could be full talks.

If you have any feedback about the talk, content, presentation wise or whatever I’d be happy to hear it :grinning:

PS: hope this is appropriate to post here, sorry if not! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Very good presentantion @PragTob! I liked the way you tackled it, is a much more interesting way for rubists. Sending it to my ruby fellows right now!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m not a Rubyist but I enjoyed that.

1 Like

Thank you very much for that feedback, glad to hear you still found it valuable and useful :slight_smile:

Also thanks @kelvinstfor spreading the word and the praise!

Haven’t watched it yet but this looks good:

BY @bcardarella

Pretty cool talk by @Crowdhailer

There is a playlist with ElixirDaze 2018 talks too

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Mind your own business View Controller

My opinions on MVC frameworks from a Domain Driven Design perspective.

Slides are available on my website http://crowdhailer.me/2018-08-16/mind-your-own-business-view-controller/

2 Likes

Simple talk about adopting Elixir in your Company:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Code Beam Lite Berlin Talks (Oct 2018)

By @FreedomBen

Only watched the first 9 mins but does a great job selling Elixir & Phoenix :023:

Late to the party here, but thank you! I’ve had a ton of success evangelizing Elixir to the Ruby crowd, especially Rails people.

1 Like

Waterpark: Distributed Actors vs the Pandemic"

I recently spoke at Strange Loop 2021 about the work my team at HCA Healthcare has been doing. This tells a story of research, high-level business needs, tailor-made components, and low-level code coming together to do good in the world. Happy to answer questions. Hope you enjoy!

Abstract:

At HCA Healthcare we own and operate 185 hospitals, and around 2,000 surgery centers, freestanding emergency rooms, and clinics. Our scale breaks many vendor products. In 2018 we began building “Waterpark”, which would become the company’s next-gen integration platform (one-part streaming system, one-part distributed database). We chose the ErlangVM and Elixir for fault-tolerance and productivity. When COVID-19 arrived, an interesting tech story became something more serious; more essential.

In this talk we will discuss:

• how the actor model maps so well onto healthcare
  • the virtues of wheel reinvention
  • how a big, Fortune 100 company can be more fun and innovative than a startup
  • how we transitioned from proof-of-concept mode to continuously available (no planned or unplanned downtime) in three weeks
  • how we use Erlang’s hot code loading (for real) in a production cluster spread across four data centers
  • how the wisdom of “Papers We Love” is indistinguishable from magic,
  • how my hero and friend Joe Armstrong (from beyond the grave) helped make American nursing home residents safer during COVID-19

Specifically, we will discuss process pairs, long-lived digital twins, no-masters, bloom filters, rendezvous hashing, our recipes for continuous availability, location transparency, open sourcing our HL7 libraries, and using the bit-syntax for clinical data.

2 Likes