AstonJ
Welcome to our Genetic Algorithms in Elixir Book Club! ![]()
With AI set to play a big role in our industry we’re lucky to have Nx, so here’s our first Nx related book club, on Genetic Algorithms in Elixir (PragProg)!
The book cub is being led by @stevensonmt and participants are:
Everyone is welcome to join the book club or to simply comment on anything you find interesting ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
code-shoily
Hello everyone! Excited that we’re doing this. Looking forward to learning from you all and the book!
BradS2S
I’d love to be a member
m4hi2
I have this book and this will be a really cool way of reading it. Looking forward to learn from you all!
stevensonmt
Thanks for setting this up @AstonJ. I’m very excited about this book. I’ve started the book but only gone through the first couple of chapters. I’ll probably try to post every Wednesday with thoughts about the portion of the book I got through that week. I hope everyone else will do something similar. I know life is probably going to interfere at some point and I’ll fall behind, plus most, if not all, of the participants are going to bring more technical acumen to the discussion.
So far I’ll say I really enjoy the writing style. Concise without being dense. Precise without being obscure. I also like the repetition of the basic concepts between the first two chapters. Really helps to cement the ideas for me.
Looking forward to the coming weeks and hearing what everyone has to say about the book and the topic in general.
dr.a
I’ll join in too!
code-shoily
I am starting chapter 1 now. Will update y’all tomorrow
bdarla
I went over the first chapter. It comprehensively introduces the core steps of a genetic algorithm. The provided solution of the One-Max problem demonstrated that as the size of the problem scales up, it is necessary to consider further optimisations that I seek to find in the rest of the book. I tried to manually explore alternative values for the hyper-parameters but I was not overwhelmed by the performance results.
I looking forward to study the rest of the book.
P. S. An interesting question for me is whether genetic algorithms are suitable for matching two pieces of text, for example, in order to assess whether a patent claim extends beyond the original patent description.
code-shoily
Hi, I have a question, I tried running the
one_max.exsscript without mutation and it almost always gives me1000where the book mentions that it will be difficult for me to reach that. Adding mutation also gives me the same result(although it’s slower). So I was wondering if any of you could get the result matching what the book wrote?UPDATE: I added an iteration counter and seems like (again based on the few tries I did), WITH MUTATION reaches the best result in ~50% less iteration count.
bdarla
Indeed, also in my experiments the algorithm always reaches 1000 (even when disabling mutation).
code-shoily
I first wondered if it had to do with high machine specs but the book isn’t an old one and I think this has little to do with machine power and more to do with the way random number gets generated?
If I decrease the chromosome count but keep the bast value the same (thereby making it impossible to reach) then I get stuck at “current best: 10”. The algorithm doesn’t “stop” stop, but rather the data become stagnant and the algorithm tried forever. I tried multiple times but it is a solid 1000 each time