ayhan.rashidov

ayhan.rashidov

Hello guys I have made an elixir http rest api using Maru. My requests are processed through a separate module using Genserver. Everything is working fine but I need to make the requests work synchronically without waiting each other. They have to be able to use the GenServer’s functions at the same time not one by one. I cannot use cast as I have to return a response. When one of the requests enters the GenServer.call the other one waits and enters after the first one has finished.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

voughtdq

voughtdq

You could do something like

def handle_call(msg, from, state) do
  spawn(fn -> 
    reply = do_stuff_with_message(msg)
    GenServer.reply(from, reply)
  end)
  {:noreply, state}
end
ayhan.rashidov

ayhan.rashidov OP

Here is an example.

HTTP Server.

defmodule HttpSrv do

  use Maru.Router
  plug(Plug.Logger)
  require Logger
  plug CORSPlug

  post do
    Logger.info("[Maru] Received a post request.")
  
    ## Start the processing of each request
    resp = Calculator.calc(5, 5)
    Maru.Response.json(conn, %{response: resp})
  end

end

The GenServer module.

defmodule Calculator do

  use GenServer
  require Logger

  ## Client API

  def start_link(_arg) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, :ok, name: __MODULE__)
  end

  def calc(a, b) do
    GenServer.call(__MODULE__, {:calc, a, b}, :infinity)
  end

  ## Server Callbacks

  def init(:ok) do
    {:ok, %{}}
  end

  def handle_call({:calc, a, b}, _from, state) do
    result = a + b
    {:reply, result, state}
  end

end
peerreynders

peerreynders

You don’t even have to reply in another process. The trick is that handle_call doesn’t have to reply immediately. So the state of the call can be stored in the GenServer state and once the reply is ready GenServer.reply/2 can be used to complete the call. Just remember that on the client side there is a timeout.

aseigo

aseigo

If they do not need to alter the state of the GenServer, then @voughtdq’s solution works fine (though they will still be serialized; but the time they block each other will be minimal, just the time require to spawn the process and return from handle_call).

The caveat in @voughtdq’s approach is that the requests can not change the state of the GenServer. So as long as the GenServer’s state is immutable with respect to the requests, that will work quite fine until you really start hammering it with requests (.. and then, the handle_call is unlikely to be the bottleneck).

If requests do need to change the GenServer’s state, then you need a different solution, though it will also involve spawning multiple processes so they can service requests in parallel.

Additionally, that approach offers no mechanism for back-pressure or rate-limiting on its own, though it could be added …

ayhan.rashidov

ayhan.rashidov OP

I have already tried this but it is waiting before entering the handle_call. It is waiting where I call the Genserver.call function.

peerreynders

peerreynders

Edit: ignore. calc is part of the client API, not the server processing.

voughtdq

voughtdq

Wait, do you mean that the HTTP server is blocking?

ayhan.rashidov

ayhan.rashidov OP

Exactly. It is blocked and doesn’t accept more calls until the previous one has finished.

ayhan.rashidov

ayhan.rashidov OP

No, not the HTTP, the GenServer as @peerreynders already said.

peerreynders

peerreynders

Building Non Blocking Erlang apps

Also: Why does this simple GenServer timeout? - #4 by peerreynders

Your could for example launch the calculation call via Task.async/1 which gives you a %Task{owner: term(), pid: term(), ref: term()}. Store that together with the caller details in the GenServer state.

When the task is done, you’ll get a {ref,result} via handle_info and you can complete the call with GenServer.reply/2.

For a cleaner result, also take care of the details like Task.await does, i.e. demonitor and process :DOWN messages

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews