ajoao

ajoao

I need to validate the criteria in a password: Must contain at least one capital letter, one lowercase and one or more numbers, the size must be between 6 and 32 characters, can not have any special character or space. Must have all 3 types: Uppercase, lowercase and number.

I have tried several ways but I could not, I looked in the documentation of regex (Elixir and Perl), but I caught here: Regex.run(~r/^[A-Z](?=.*)[a-z](?=.*)[^\W_]{5,30}$/,IO.gets"")

But this regex only allows password starting with the uppercase and does not allow numbers, if I add something like \d(?=.*) or [0-9](?=.*) nothing works.

Just as an example in ES/JS would be: /^(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*\d)[^\W_]{6,32}$/

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

Iterate the string, count the used characters per group and compare against your threshlds.

ajoao

ajoao OP

In a single regex would not it be possible? If so, would you have an example?

wmnnd

wmnnd

Like @NobbZ pointed out, using a regular expression is not ideal in this situation. It will obfuscate what you’re actually doing, might introduce obscure bugs and you won’t be able to give meaningful error messages.

ajoao

ajoao OP

Okay, I’ll implement it cleaner, anyway I wanted to explore more regex in Elixir, but thanks.

ryh

ryh

Here’s an implementation that doesn’t use regex, but it’s kind of ugly:

defmodule PasswordValidator do

  @valid_upper 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
  @valid_lower 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
  @valid_num '0123456789'

  def validate(pass) do
    chars =
      pass
      |> String.to_charlist()

    valid_length?(chars) and has_valid_chars?(chars) and has_required_chars?(chars)
  end

  defp valid_length?(chars) when is_list(chars) do
    length(chars) >= 6 and length(chars) <= 32
  end

  defp has_valid_chars?(chars) when is_list(chars) do
    Enum.all?(chars, &validate_char/1)
  end

  defp has_required_chars?(chars) when is_list(chars) do
    [&has_upper/1, &has_lower/1, &has_num/1]
    |> Enum.all?(&Enum.any?(chars, &1))
  end

  defp validate_char(char) do
    has_upper(char) or has_lower(char) or has_num(char)
  end

  defp has_upper(char) do
    char in @valid_upper
  end

  defp has_lower(char) do
    char in @valid_lower
  end

  defp has_num(char) do
    char in @valid_num
  end
end
ajoao

ajoao OP

Cool guy, thanks a lot

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Or using my ExSpirit parsing library (untested but should be close enough:

defmodule PasswordValidator do
  use ExSpirit.Parser, text: true

  def validate(pass) do
    case parse(pass, valid_chars()) do
      %{error: nil, rest: ""} -> :ok
      %{error: nil} -> {:error, "Password is too long, keep it below 32 characters"}
      %{error: error} -> {:error, "Password must be between 6-32 characters and only alpha-
numeric, failure message:  #{Exception.message(error}"}
    end
  end

  defrule valid_char(char([?A..?Z, ?a..?z, ?0..?9]))

  defrule valid_chars(repeat(valid_char(), 6, 32)
end

Or so.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

@ajoao or anyone else interested in this. Partially inspired by this thread (and the fact that there didn’t appear to be any password validators or checkers on hex) I’ve created a simple password validator library:

The original requirements would look like this with PasswordValidator:

opts = [
  length: [min: 6, max: 32],
  character_set: [
    lower_case: 1,  # at least one lower case letter
    upper_case: 1,  # at least one capital letter
    numbers: 1,  # at least one numbers
    special: [0, 0],  # no special characters allowed
  ]
]

changeset
|> PasswordValidator.validate(:password, opts)

Please feel free to check it out and give me any feedback (including on the code structure). I’ll probably try to do some sort of larger forum post in the near future but wanted to mention it here first.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Cool.

You could also replace the functionality of this password strength checker. ^.^

don’t really do that ^.^;

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Yeah that would be a great next step! :wink:

But actually that led me to zxcvbn which is an entropy-based checker. That would be interesting to tackle and is currently missing an Elixir implementation. Also I am agreed that validating based on types of characters is not very useful (but I really just wanted to try my hand at a library).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews