Hello Elixir World (Introductions thread)

Hi, Norman here from Germany. Rather having a strong background in OOP but now extremely interested in functional programming. Learning Elixir and F# side by side in my spare time.

10 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Bernardo Amorim from Brazil. Iā€™ve been working with Elixir full time at Stone Pagamentos for almost 2 years. We are using Elixir to disrupt the banking industry here. I gave some talks about Elixir, Domain Events, Event Sourcing, CQRS and Domain Driven Design some times. Recently I started being more active in this forum (first as mainly a reader) and now Iā€™ll try to post more often.

12 Likes

Hello, World!

Iā€™m Yordis, I live in USA, I am from Pinar del Rio, Cuba.

Nice to meet you all.

11 Likes

Hey guys!

My name is Eduardo Verdeja and I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I work as a fullstack web dev in my day job, primarily with Javascript and PHP (:slightly_frowning_face:). Iā€™ve recently found out about Elixir and Iā€™m just amazed! Iā€™ve yet to see such a great language design paired with this kind of community.

Thank you all for making this forum exist :wink:

10 Likes

Hello I am greyhwndz here to learn Elixir!

8 Likes

spawn(fn -> send(@greyhwndz, {:welcome, ā€œHello!ā€}) end)

9 Likes

Hi all, my name is Vasco, a Portuguese in the UK, interested in learning more about Elixir.

8 Likes

Hello, Elixir! Iā€™m Bryan from Houston, TX! It has been great to be a part of the community.

10 Likes

Hi I am Sreyans from Kolkata India. I run a webdev shop in Kolkata India. Switched to elixir Phoenix for all our projects. Nice to meet you all.

Thanks

16 Likes

Shame on me, registered here in this forum since 2016, never said hello.

Hello everyone :wave:
Iā€™m Jean Lucas, love Elixir and itā€™s my hobby language that I use when I have free time and on my side projects :smile:

Had the chance to meet the language in 2016, when visited Plataformatecā€™s HQ when they were near Av Paulista in Brazil and still in love with all the ecosystem around it!

12 Likes

Hey everyone! Iā€™m Tao, a Danish software developer based in Edinburgh, UK. Most of my time in the coming year will be focused on an MSc in cybersecurity, but I have a couple of side projects that Iā€™d like to use to explore Elixir more! As Iā€™m getting more into the language and the community around it, Iā€™m only getting more and more excited to be here :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hi everyone !
I am Vamsi from Bangalore/ India. I am woring in an ad tech startup . we have deiced to use elixir/phoenix stack for a new project !

11 Likes

Hi. Anton here coming from Russia.

What can I tell you out of the million things that I can tell?

Right, the most relevant stuff.

I like FP and I like the following languages: Haskell, Elm and Elixir.
I think Iā€™m getting to the intermediate stage of learning FP.

P.S. as always there is something to add when you actually press that reply button.
I love bulletproof coffee (coffee with butter and mct oil), I like biohacking, I love learning natural languages, particularly French at the moment. I would like if someone here is a French and would like to connect, of if you are learning French I would like to connect as well. You can call me an expert in the field of searching and information organization. For example, I keep a collection of my bookmarks which grew to 17k over 15 years period. And itā€™s very well organized and yes I do have too much time on my hands. Well, I can add more, but you have other business to attend to : )

Itā€™s exciting that I can use Elixir for UI with Scenic.

13 Likes

Hi my name is Bruce. Ive been here since February . I really dont know muchā€¦I have a server with a pleroma instance on the fediverse and it got me into pleroma. ive got so many books (pdfs) on it and i just need to get the interest to actually sit down and start learning it much better. I have all kinds of dreams with what id like to do with it on so many different levels. I have so many other interests that im very good at and just want to get this one down. if you want to vistit my instance that doesnt block anything and doesnt care what you say its here: disarray.nof.st . Id like to make some new friends and see if that could maybe get me goingā€¦i read these books i have a littleā€¦i just need a pushā€¦and ill be your friend :smiley:

8 Likes

I am saleh and Iā€™m fron Iran :heart_eyes: :smile:
nice to meet you all
I was a php laravel backend developer and I had to learn Elixir :smiley:
a little difficult at first, but I love the ecosystem

15 Likes

Hi, cheers from Sweden :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Could you please share the materials you used to migrate from Laravel to Elixir? Iā€™m on the same path but I find it too difficult to achieve this goal.

7 Likes

Iā€™m on the same track and the materials Iā€™ve been using the most are:

All of those are free, except for the Programming Phoenix book. Exercism is just amazing for building self confidence!

I guess that for a Laravel dev what most bridges the gap is the Phoenix book. Thatā€™s really in our comfort zone :slight_smile: - just read it after grasping the basics

7 Likes

Hello, I have only just joined but have read topics around here for a few years and learned a lot doing so. I tend to be the kind of person who lurks on the outside but since I have joined I felt I should introduce myself and say hello. So yeah my name is Toby, Iā€™m from Scotland, I come from a background mainly in C# with azure related technologies and typescript + react as front end technologies. I have long had a bit of interest in Erlang (and a few FP languages in terms of concepts rather than use in anger) but never properly gotten into it, over the last couple of years focused a lot of my spare time on Elixir as something that I felt had all the promising elements of Erlang and overcome some of the things I saw at the time as sticking points (some of those things might be lack of experience or may have since improved). More recently managed to bring a little bit of Elixir adoption into my workplace which so far has been a generally positive experience.

10 Likes

Welcome Toby, nice to see another Brit here :023: and well done on jumping in from being a lurker - if any other lurkers are reading thisā€¦ join up too, youā€™ll be in good company :003:

3 Likes