johnhu

johnhu

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Elixir. I try to create an alias for running another group of tests which has its owned environment. It can be run with MIX_ENV specified. May I set the env at alias to have a simpler command? Like api_test:

defp aliases do
  [
    "ecto.setup": ["ecto.create", "ecto.migrate", "run priv/repo/seeds.exs"],
    "ecto.reset": ["ecto.drop", "ecto.setup"],
    "test": ["ecto.create --quiet", "ecto.migrate", "test"],
    "api_test": "test --only api_test:true"
  ]
end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

defp aliases do
  [
    …,
    "api_test": &api_test/1
  ]
end

defp api_test(_) do
  Mix.env(:test) # or whatever env you need
  MixTask.run("test" ["--only", "api_test:true"])
end

This is from memory though, can’t test it right now.

johnhu

johnhu OP

Wow.. This is a great idea.. I will do that.

It failed. It tries to load the live reload server

** (UndefinedFunctionError) function Phoenix.LiveReloader.init/1 is undefined (module 
Phoenix.LiveReloader is not available)
    Phoenix.LiveReloader.init([])
    (plug) lib/plug/builder.ex:302: Plug.Builder.init_module_plug/4
    (plug) lib/plug/builder.ex:286: anonymous fn/5 in Plug.Builder.compile/3
    (elixir) lib/enum.ex:1899: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
    (plug) lib/plug/builder.ex:284: Plug.Builder.compile/3
    (plug) expanding macro: Plug.Builder.__before_compile__/1
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

there’s also this in mix.exs:

def project do
    [
      …,
      preferred_cli_env: [
        coveralls: :test,
        "coveralls.detail": :test,
        "coveralls.post": :test,
        "coveralls.html": :test,
        "test.reset": :test,
        "test.integration": :test
      ]
    ]
  end
johnhu

johnhu OP

After adding the preferred_cli_env, the previous error is gone. But it still not run the test because:
** (Mix) “mix test” is running on environment “api_test”. If you are running tests along another task, please set MIX_ENV explicitly

It looks like I have to use MIX_ENV…

NobbZ

NobbZ

I think you just did the :preferred_cli_env wrong. Can you please show how you set it up?

johnhu

johnhu OP

I use:

def project do
[
  ...
  preferred_cli_env: [
    "api_test": :api_test
  ]
]

end

NobbZ

NobbZ

Since you want to run :api_test in the MIX_ENV=test this needs to be api_test: :test.

johnhu

johnhu OP

no.. I want to run :api_test with the MIX_ENV=api_test… It does run it with api_test. But the mix test gives me the warning:

** (Mix) “mix test” is running on environment “api_test”. If you are running tests along another task, please set MIX_ENV explicitly

NobbZ

NobbZ

You are not allowed to call mix test in any other environment than :test, if you want to do it despite all warnings, then you have to set MIX_ENV explicitely. This is kind of saying “Yes, I know what I am doing and I am really sure I want to do this with all of its implcations and possible side effects which in worst case might destroy the world”.

If you really wan’t to use mix test in another environment, then there is no other way than to use the environment variable.

johnhu

johnhu OP

Thanks for the information…

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews