Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have a project where I have separated my tests into two categories: Unit tests and Integration tests.

My objective is to have 3 commands that do the following:

  • mix test.unit: executes all unit tests
  • mix test.integration: executes all integration tests
  • mix test: executes mix test.unit and then mix test.integration

I can somewhat replicate my first objective, instead of mix test.unit I am using environment variables and I am running MIX_ENV=unit mix test.

Problem

There are however a few problems with this approach:

  • It is way more verbose than the intended command
  • The only way I know of taking advantage of this is by littering my mix.exs with environment variables and pattern matching function that do something depending on the environment
  • It is very easy to miss the environment variable name only to see things blow up
  • I dont get help not auto complete if I type mix help

Research

I thought about using a mix alias like in this post:

But not only am I unsure on how to do it, I don’t even think I can change the default behavior of mix test to run both unit and integration tests separately.

Code

Thus far, all I have no is a half-broken mix.exs file that works:

defmodule MarketManager.MixProject do
  use Mix.Project

  @test_envs [:unit, :integration]

  ##########
  # Public #
  ##########

  def project do
    [
      app: :market_manager,
      version: "0.1.0",
      elixir: "~> 1.9",
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      deps: deps(),
      elixirc_paths: elixirc_paths(Mix.env),
      test_paths: test_paths(Mix.env)
    ]
  end

  # Run "mix help compile.app" to learn about applications.
  def application do
    [
      extra_applications: applications(Mix.env),
      mod: {MarketManager.Application, [env: Mix.env]}
    ]
  end

  ###########
  # Private #
  ###########

  defp applications(:integration), do: applications(:default) ++ [:cowboy, :plug]
  defp applications(_),     do: [:logger]

  # Run "mix help deps" to learn about dependencies.
  defp deps do
    [
      {:httpoison, "~> 1.6"},
      {:jason, "~> 1.2"},

      # Testing and Dev
      {:hammox, "~> 0.2", only: @test_envs},
      {:mix_test_watch, "~> 1.0", only: @test_envs, runtime: false},
      {:plug_cowboy, "~> 2.0", only: @test_envs}
    ]
  end

  defp elixirc_paths(env) when env in @test_envs, do: ["test/support", "lib"]
  defp elixirc_paths(_),     do: ["lib"]

  defp test_paths(:integration), do: ["test/integration"]
  defp test_paths(:unit), do: ["test/unit"]
  defp test_paths(_), do: ["test/unit"]

end

Which was inspired in the blog:

Questions

As you can probably tell from reading my mix.exs file, it is a half broken mess where, in order to compile, I have to mix the definitions of MIX_ENV=unit mix test and mix test (check the test_paths) functions.

This brings all sorts of pain when developing.

How can I fix this file, so it has the desired behavior?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

shanesveller

shanesveller

Consider using @tag and @moduletag syntax in your test modules together with --include and/or --exclude flags to the existing `mix test’ task. This could then be automated as new mix aliases. IIRC your goal is a canonical example of why those flags exist.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’m wondering why you need :extra_applications here? Having the dependencies marked for only the :test env should be enough.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

The issue I see with that approach is that I have to add an extra @moduletag to every module, while if I manage to do it my way, all I have to do is put the test files inside the “integration” and “unit” folders and it will be self explanatory.

This said, that is a valid approach. Depending on how much trouble the setup I am looking for takes, I may consider your approach.

cpgo

cpgo

I dont know if it works but maybe you could try to create a base case with the moduletags for each test type

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

If you have two types of tests it’s enough to tag the one with the smaller numbers and either run everything except that one tag or nothing, but that tag.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

This is from a blog I saw:

https://medium.com/flatiron-labs/rolling-your-own-mock-server-for-testing-in-elixir-2cdb5ccdd1a0


# mix.exs
def application do
  [
    extra_applications: [:logger],
    mod: {GithubClient.Application, [env: Mix.env]},
    applications: applications(Mix.env)
  ]
end

I think the author made a little confusion because she uses both applications and extra_applications and one of them was discontinued iirc, but overall it has valuable information.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews