derek-zhou
Outlook.com blocked my transactional emails sent via sendgrid.com. From what I learned, outlook.com used a simple per IP reputation system. Since I am on a cheap shared IP plan of Sendgrid, and there must be someone sending dubious email with sendgrid, therefore, the situation is hopeless.
Outlook.com also blocked IPs from major cheap hosting companies. The good thing is that if you file a complain with them and show them proof that you do own the IP, then they will unblock it on a case by case basis.
How do you guys send transactional emails, and what are your experiences? So far I’ve tried to avoid SES, or anything from AWS.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
axelson
I’ve used Postmark to good success previously (https://postmarkapp.com/), and would definitely use them again. And I had the same problem with Sendgrid that you encountered.
dimitarvp
SendGrid gradually deteriorated in the last few years. Seems everyone is migrating to PostMark lately, including people on HN.
victorbjorklund
Amazon SES because I’m cheap. But I heard very good things about postmark so might switch to them at some point.
baldwindavid
I’ve used Sendgrid, SES, Postmark, and Mailgun. I like Postmark a lot, but tend to use Mailgun for most projects because it’s very cheap at the outset when you’re not sending many emails and it has all the features I need (mostly around seeing what was actually sent to recipients). I tend to think anything without a dedicated IP is prone to trouble, but haven’t had trouble with either of Postmark or Mailgun.
derek-zhou
I don’t think it is SendGrid’s fault. The big email providers are basically holding the mass in hostage, and the war on SPAM has gone way over board. If I move to postmark what guarantee do I have?
derek-zhou
What I have found is if you use a competitively priced VPS vendor and do your own sending, it is even more troublesome. outlook at least has a channel to complain; mail.qq.com only pretend to have one and no one would get back to you and your IP stays blocked forever.
AstonJ
Not sure if any of these are any help:
https://sendersupport.olc.protection.outlook.com/snds/FAQ.aspx
We’ve had issues with them when moving to new servers/ips in the past (though not recently). Usually once you reach out to them it gets fixed… but I imagine that would be harder for a shared IP service.
If you can install your own software on the server/host perhaps look at Dovecot and Postfix..
derek-zhou
Thanks, this is exactly what I did. Then I have delieverability problem to a different set of hosts
AstonJ
Make sure you have a valid SPF record. Sometimes they include troubleshooting info to let you know why your mail can’t be delivered too - are they giving you any indication?
I would also contact sendgrid… if you are paying them for email and it’s not being delivered it’s not really fit for purpose
baldwindavid
One of the things I like about Mailgun is the setup for SPF and DKIM has clear instructions. I like the directive to place records on a separate
mgsubdomain rather than tacking on to the SPF record for the root domain, which I’ve previously seen get overloaded (there is a limit) and messy.