How fast is your internet connection?

How much do you pay and do you think a fast connection is needed for software development?

You can test via www.speedtest.net and to embed results into your post, simply copy the ‘forum’ code from their share tab but only paste the image URL into your post, you must also remove the .beta subdomain from it - so it should look like this: http://www.speedtest.net/result/5829354737.png

1 Like

I think a fast connection helps with:

• Watching educational material/talks etc
  • Downloading large back-ups
  • Uploading large files/back-ups
  • Can you think of any more?

This is my current connection (connected via wifi on a 5Ghz band):

Costs £50/$62 a month (includes line rental and unlimited land-line telephone calls and 2000 call-minutes to UK mobiles)

(Note, if your router only offers you 2.4Ghz, it is well worth upgrading to one that has a 5Ghz band.)

I live in Indonesia, don’t ask me about internet connection quality. It’s really sad, pretty embarassing to share the speedtest result.

I just live a few kilometers from the capital, btw.

“do you think a fast connection is needed for software development?”

For these needs:

1. git pulling and pushing
  2. basic ssh, curl and other terminal things
  3. visiting stackoverflow

i think it’s already good. Having a good stable connection is already a heaven for me.

4 Likes

I can tell you that it makes a huge difference when remotely debugging, as I learned from my previous Xamarin mobile ibGib apps.

1 Like

For me, it’s not the actual speed I need but fairly low latency. I moved all my dev stuff to the cloud (Azure VMs) last month, and I SSH to the server and do some work there. The good thing about it is that I do not need to actually download say Ruby or Postgres over my network. VMs have crazy high speed so apt-get anything is blazing fast always.

I tried programming on much slower connection but with good ping, it actually feels really good too. Latency more important than the actual throughput.

The provider/cost is Orange LTE, 2 year contract, 79PLN (15 GBP) / month with 150 GB monthly data limit (night transfer between 24-08 unlimited). I think that’s pretty good deal, just need to restrain myself from too much Netflix (which is good to do anway ;))

2 Likes

I feel your pain. I live in a small town here in brazil. Besides the problem with the internet connection there is the problem with the devaluation of our currency which limits very much the ammount of paid material we can get each month.

5 Likes

Comcast, ~$60/month

2 Likes

By Bulgarian standards it’s a really mediocre connection, but I don’t think bandwidth really matters. The latency is generally nice enough to anywhere in Europe.

We pay about $14/month, by the way.

4 Likes

Pretty pointless though as comcast has very aggressive traffic shaping in place they obviously don’t restrict the speed test though :). This is like 65 USD I think in Kiev (Ukraine) it would be about $5/month with a better speed.

3 Likes

My situation is pretty similar, and my internet speed is the same as yours, I just happen to be downloading an update of Unity, but here’s my test:

3 Likes

35€/month, modem, router, wifi, TV box all comprised in the price. No data cap

I need to call them to uncap the bandwidth a bit, i should be able to get more.

1 Like

I pay like 50 dollars/month , internet+phone.

1 Like

But it’s wifi and my router is faulty, and I belivie i hear my son watching something on youtube. I pay for it 55 PLN/month it’s less then 15 USD/month. Most of the time I really get 100/100 Mbit out of it on my desktop. But the downside is, that if something on their end will stop working and it’s betwee 20 PM - 8 AM or god forbid weekend… I’m screwed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

$60/month (mostly due to some haggling. I think normally its around $70-$80/month)

1 Like

Living in a Polish block of flats has it’s good sides, huh? ;). I had similar, basically 100/100 until I moved out of city centre. Not even a phone line here. Thank gods we have LTE coverage here.

1 Like

It’s not a block of flat’s per se. Because building is two stories high with me owning half of it, my downstairs neighbour has a huge garden, and I on the other hand a nice terrace. It’s rather my ISP not having any problems with connecting fiber optics into the building just for 2 flats (where at that time only other choice was radio connection). My wife had incredible luck with finding this building, because it was really a steal having in mind that we own (with neighbours) the building and ground it stand on, not to mention the IPS :D.

2 Likes

Poland/Warsaw UPC cable TV 19$/month

speedtest-cli                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from xxxxxx ...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by NETIA S.A. (Warsaw) [2.05 km]: 16.175 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 176.19 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 19.20 Mbit/s
4 Likes

I love my service, ~$60/month, I have a fairly low service (they have gigabit at most and tiers in between) but my router is ancient so I’ve not seen a point to get higher. It is fast, unmetered, and unlimited (normally slows down after 300gigs/month but if you pay the extra $10, like I do, you get unlimited, and I often use well more than 300gigs/month because of working on my servers and lots of VNC over SSH), plus since where I live sits straight on an L3 backbone my latencies are utterly fantastic! I’m always the one who ends up hosting game servers between friends. ^.^ But yep, my latency fluctuates depending on the time of day between 4ms to 12ms to google, latency is one of the big things I look for because of my ssh/vnc work.

This is about the only perk of living in the desert. ^.^

5 Likes

hit the nerve here, I’m extremely dissatisfied with this bandwidth (basically living in suburbs of a big city) but I can’t change the provider without risking offline time, and that is not a risk I’m willing to take :slight_smile:

that being said this problem mostly has to do with watching videos, skyping and actively surfing from multiple devices at the same time, but I can work just fine

1 Like

I think I pay around USD 30-35 for a fiber-optic connection from NTT. You can get much faster in the Tokyo area, but I am up here in the mountains in Niigata. Compared to my original 28.8k modem, I guess I cannot complain too much.

2 Likes