AstonJ
How fast is your internet connection? (And how much do you pay?)
You can test via www.speedtest.net and to embed results into your post, simply click on share then copy the image URL and paste it on a separate line in your post.
Trending in Dev Env & Tools
I have really enjoyed dialing in a set of static analysis tools and skills that help me help LLMs write better code. One gap I haven’t se...
New
Curious whether anyone is taking any specific precautions, such as creating new non-administrative user-accounts and then simply copying ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
AstonJ
I think a fast connection helps with:
This is my current connection (connected via wifi on a 5Ghz band):
Costs £50/$62 a month (includes line rental and unlimited land-line telephone calls and 2000 call-minutes to UK mobiles)
(Note, if your router only offers you 2.4Ghz, it is well worth upgrading to one that has a 5Ghz band.)
dwahyudi
I live in Indonesia, don’t ask me about internet connection quality. It’s really sad, pretty embarassing to share the speedtest result.
I just live a few kilometers from the capital, btw.
“do you think a fast connection is needed for software development?”
For these needs:
i think it’s already good. Having a good stable connection is already a heaven for me.
ibgib
I can tell you that it makes a huge difference when remotely debugging, as I learned from my previous Xamarin mobile ibGib apps.
hubertlepicki
For me, it’s not the actual speed I need but fairly low latency. I moved all my dev stuff to the cloud (Azure VMs) last month, and I SSH to the server and do some work there. The good thing about it is that I do not need to actually download say Ruby or Postgres over my network. VMs have crazy high speed so
apt-get anythingis blazing fast always.I tried programming on much slower connection but with good ping, it actually feels really good too. Latency more important than the actual throughput.
The provider/cost is Orange LTE, 2 year contract, 79PLN (15 GBP) / month with 150 GB monthly data limit (night transfer between 24-08 unlimited). I think that’s pretty good deal, just need to restrain myself from too much Netflix (which is good to do anway ;))
cpgo
I feel your pain. I live in a small town here in brazil. Besides the problem with the internet connection there is the problem with the devaluation of our currency which limits very much the ammount of paid material we can get each month.

AndyL
Comcast, ~$60/month
gon782
By Bulgarian standards it’s a really mediocre connection, but I don’t think bandwidth really matters. The latency is generally nice enough to anywhere in Europe.
We pay about $14/month, by the way.
andre1sk
Pretty pointless though as comcast has very aggressive traffic shaping in place they obviously don’t restrict the speed test though :). This is like 65 USD I think in Kiev (Ukraine) it would be about $5/month with a better speed.
Oxyrus
My situation is pretty similar, and my internet speed is the same as yours, I just happen to be downloading an update of Unity, but here’s my test:
DianaOlympos
35€/month, modem, router, wifi, TV box all comprised in the price. No data cap
I need to call them to uncap the bandwidth a bit, i should be able to get more.