How fast is your internet connection?

~for the sake of bonus entry

$40/month

25€/mon

We pay about $40.

Where is this in Europe?

Portugal, but you can get significantly better speeds (100mbps) for like more 10/15€ (with tv and other things included)

:sunglasses:

Gigabit fiber from AT&T here, paying 70 USD (56.33 Euro)/mo for it. This is in Deerfield Beach, FL.

jeez soon you’ll be able to send yourself through the wire

2 Likes

For note, using things like speedtest.net and other popular ones will not really give you accurate speeds, like at all. They allow for caching servers to distribute their testing load, and I think just about every ISP in existence adds such cache’s, so you are testing your line link to your ISP, but not out to the world (which is the important bit). If you google for just “speed test” then the Google page has their own testing infrastructure that tries to keep ISP’s from doing such cheats. Netflix (and microsoft and facebook) have their own as well. Should test with one of those instead. :slight_smile:

This is even more relevant when you also consider that a lot of companies in many countries (or a few at least?) specifically have different speeds for crossing network borders and since tons of the traffic is actually going to be international it gets doubly misleading when it’s not cached on their own nodes.

1 Like

Even though I forgot to provide a proper run at home back then, I did not miss my contracts deadline this time and was able to change to a much quicker connection at home.

Nominally its 500/50 right now, but I will go down after 12 months, not sure if I’ll do 50/50 then or 100/50. Depends on the prices of next year :smiley: The first year all speeds cost the same, and the only reason I did 500 instead of 1000 is that I did not want to rent a better modem for 10 €/m which I can not give back after a year but would be stuck with for at least 2 years…

So at home it looks like this right now:

It’s via WiFi though, and at ~90% of the upload test my laptop always lags, I’m pretty sure that influences the result.

1 Like

On my mobile now and out of the country but Singapore has a fibre to the condo network and for about USD 60 per month I get a 1gbps service which on speed test commonly rates over 850mbps. For unlimited data. Properly unlimited, no traffic shaping either, no rate limiting. And a static IP address from my provider. Very happy. I could also get a 2gbps service if I wanted, but I’m not that needy :grinning:

Mobile data and Germany are mutually exclusive…

For mobile I’m on a prepaid plan for 7.99 €/28days, limited to 21MBit/s in 4G networks, unlimited in 3G (but those are in a process of beeing shut down). It is limited to 3GB of transfer (meaning 3,000,000,000 bytes). After that I’m limited to 64kbit/s. Though as I’m usually in range of personal or free WiFi I rarely hit those 3GB anymore.

I have free internet on any Vodafone provided WiFi access point (in Germany at least, not sure about abroad) due to participating in the Vodafone Neighboorhood program… Hamburg is pretty well coverd and as long as I’m stationary, I can use those hotspots.

Couldn’t really find a server that could handle the speedtest near me. This is the best result I’ve managed to get.

Gigabit internet for ~40 euro/month, Netherlands.

1 Like

And its symmetric too, excellent. Videotex (if anyone even knows what that was) and then ASDL and the Telcos created this idea of “upload” and “download” which is an abomination and a complete distortion of the ideas behind the internet. Good to see an ISP doing things as they should (or so it appears). </ rant-mode >

I think it’s instrumental since the great majority of resources nowadays are on the cloud. It also helps when you have to access online documentation and interact with people with the same interests. Without a good connection, you are just missing out on the resources and tools available (and potentially your own patience).

This is my current connection (also connected via wifi on a 5Ghz band):

I also live in Brazil and I used to live in the capital of my state (one of the smallest capitals in the whole country). Since I got married a couple of months ago I had to relocate to a nearby city and now I’m using a local internet provider. I’m paying 130 reais/ month (something like 30 dollars). Back in the capital, I used to pay the same amount but for 120Mbps instead of 50Mbps; almost 3 times more “speed” but with higher latency, which was great at the time.

Agreed. The only option I have to get reasonable download speeds is with cable companies, but the up-to-down ratio of 1:20 is annoying.

Shiny new 10Gb/s fibre from Salt in Switzerland. 39.95 per month including free apple TV and TV service.

Tricky to get speedtest results > 1Gb/s

salt|474xx214

fast.com gets closer:

fast|552xx392

The speedtest cli program:

speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: nexellent AG - Zurich (id = 6251)
    ISP: Salt Mobile SA
Latency:     1.26 ms   (0.06 ms jitter)

Download: 854.13 Mbps (data used: 384.4 MB)
Upload: 1318.15 Mbps (data used: 1.2 GB)
Packet Loss: 0.0%

4 Likes

via WiFi on laptop.

75 UAH (~3 USD)

This is at work. I don’t know the price, but at home, I have fibre doing around 250/50 and it’s for 18€/month by Orange with literally no outages. :clap:

VDSL2 (in mode that adds 10ms to ping) 75mbit down and 10bit up in Finland costs about 20€ a month. Fiber connection is quite cheap here as well if you live in a building that has it. We don’t have data caps in Finland in anything including mobile data.