pgarg

pgarg

Hello everyone,
I am a beginner to elixir and phoenix. I was trying to make a webpage where users can create different discussion topics and in those discussions people can add comments. For commenting I think channels would be great but I am confused that when a user creates a new discussion thread, how will a subtopic be generated for that particular discussion topic in the backend? Initially I can hard code it but is there a way that a topic is generated for channels as soon as a user adds a discussion topic?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

lud

lud

Channels are just names. In the Docs you will see that example:

channel "room:*", HelloWeb.RoomChannel

Then there is a join function:

defmodule HelloWeb.RoomChannel do
  use Phoenix.Channel

  def join("room:lobby", _message, socket) do
    {:ok, socket}
  end
  def join("room:" <> _private_room_id, _params, _socket) do
    {:error, %{reason: "unauthorized"}}
  end
end

(in this example the private rooms are always refused since the docs talks about implementing the authorization later on).

As long as your join function accepts _private_room_id as a room name (i.e. it returns ok), then your channel exists, basically.

pgarg

pgarg OP

Thanks I tried it and it worked.

ravidhu

ravidhu

Hello Lud,

Can you give more information on whats on in the foolowing function :

def join("room:" <> _private_room_id, _params, _socket) do
    {:error, %{reason: "unauthorized"}}
  end

AS i understand, “room:” <> _private_room_id is concatenation, how elixir transform a concatenation in param ?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Hello and welcome,

In that case, it’s a pattern match… and _private_room_id will be assigned to what follow “room:”

lud

lud

To complete @kokolegorille 's response, it means that if your channel is set to “room:*” in your socket module, private_room_id will be bound to whatever you javascript client sends for this *.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

It can also be simplified like this… maybe it’s more explicit.

iex> "koko:" <> id = "koko:12345"
"koko:12345"
iex> id
"12345"
ravidhu

ravidhu

Woow, ok, thanks for your explanations @kokolegorille and @lud ! this pattern matching feature is sooo great !!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews