chan11347

chan11347

i want to add a condition in the add_entry to limit the input such like if else in java, any help

server.ex

def add_entry(todo_server, new_entry) do
    GenServer.cast(todo_server, {:add_entry, new_entry})
  end
@impl GenServer
  def handle_cast({:add_entry, new_entry}, {name, todo_list}) do
    new_list = Todo.List.add_entry(todo_list, new_entry)
    Todo.Database.store(name, new_list)
    {:noreply, {name, new_list}}
  end

list.ex

def add_entry(todo_list, entry) do
    entry = Map.put(entry, :id, todo_list.auto_id)
    new_entries = Map.put(todo_list.entries, todo_list.auto_id, entry)

    %Todo.List{todo_list | entries: new_entries, auto_id: todo_list.auto_id + 1}
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

mindok

mindok

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, having multiple function heads for the add_entry function is idiomatic.

for example:

def add_entry(todo_list, %{thing: thing}=entry) when thing=="don't add me", do: todo_list

def add_entry(todo_list, %{}=entry)  do
 # what you had before
end

Alternatively, if you really want to use if, remember that it returns a value and you can’t modify variables with scope external to it, so you have to do something like:

  new_entries = if <some criteria> do
    Map.put(todo_list.entries, ...)
  else
    todo_list.entries # return the unaltered map if criteria don't apply
  end

If you want to spell out a bit more what you are trying to do we could give you the best option…

chan11347

chan11347 OP

Todo.Server.add_entry(test, %{date: ~D[2020-05-19], time: ~T[16:52:00], title: "Shopping"})
this is what the input and I want to set it if any of the value is nil or empty it return an IO statement " input cannot be empty and return to the same iex

chan11347

chan11347 OP

so follow the idea you gave is it like this?

def add_entry(todo_list, %{entries: entries}=entry) when entries  ==" ", do: IO.puts("input cannot be empty!")
end

def add_entry(todo_list, %{}=entry)  do
    entry = Map.put(entry, :id, todo_list.auto_id)
    new_entries = Map.put(todo_list.entries, todo_list.auto_id, entry)

    %Todo.List{todo_list | entries: new_entries, auto_id: todo_list.auto_id + 1}
end
mindok

mindok

Close…

def add_entry(todo_list, %{entries: entries}=entry) when entries  =="", do: todo_list

or…

def add_entry(todo_list, %{entries: entries}=entry) when entries  ==" "  do
  IO.puts("input cannot be empty!")
  todo_list # Return the unaltered input so the calling code is consistent
end
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

But the question here is: do you want to raise an exception, or return an erroneous value to the caller? If exception is fine, you can just pattern match the happy path like this:

def add_entry(list, %{entries: text}) when text != "" do
  # do stuff with valid input
end

Then, if the function is called with an empty entries key the runtime will just raise FunctionClauseError because there is no function that handles the empty value.

chan11347

chan11347 OP

what if I want to return an erroneous value?is that I need to set up an error statement by myself?

lucaong

lucaong

If your map contains keys like :date, :time, etc., then your code above won’t work (because it matches an entry with key :entries).

There are a few possible ways to solve this. First, you could check if any of the entry fields is blank. Remember that maps are Enumerable, so you can enumerate them as a collection of {key, value} with the Enum module:

def add_entry(todo_server, new_entry) do
  if Enum.any?(new_entry, fn {_key, value} -> value == nil || value == "" end) do
    IO.puts("input cannot be empty!")
  else
    GenServer.cast(todo_server, {:add_entry, new_entry})
  end
end

Instead of printing an output though, it would be better to return an error, so the caller can pattern match easily. Usually, one would return :ok or {:error, reason}:

def add_entry(todo_server, new_entry) do
  if Enum.any?(new_entry, fn {_key, value} -> value == nil || value == "" end) do
    {:error, "input cannot be empty!"}
  else
    GenServer.cast(todo_server, {:add_entry, new_entry})
  end
end

If the entries always have the same keys, there is a possibly better way to do this: you can use a struct for the entry, instead of a map, to enforce the “shape” of the entry:

defmodule Todo.Server do
  defmodule Entry do
    @enforce_keys [:date, :time, :title]
    defstruct [:date, :time, :title]
  end

  def add_entry(todo_server, %Entry{date: date, time: time, title: title})
  when is_nil(date) or is_nil(time) or is_nil(title) or title == "" do
    {:error, "input cannot be empty!"}
  end

  def add_entry(todo_server, new_entry = %Entry{}) do
    GenServer.cast(todo_server, {:add_entry, new_entry})
  end

  def add_entry(_server, _entry), do: {:error, "Invalid input"}
end

This way, the entry is now a struct that enforces that all of :date, :time, and :value are present. This also mean, though, that the caller of the add_entry function has to pass an Entry struct instead of a map, so it’s your choice whether this is desirable or not.

P.S.:
Unrelated to your question, but you might want to use GenServer.call/3 instead of GenServer.cast/2, even if you don’t need a result. The reason is explained here: https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/mix-otp/genserver.html#call-cast-or-info

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Show us what you have tried to make the function return an error value?

chan11347

chan11347 OP

so if i not enter both value there will having a crash appear


so i want to make it limited at the input part to stop this happening

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews