Hyperpixel display with Nerves and Scenic

Hi!

I want to dabble with Nerves and thought about building some kind of info display with a Raspberry Pi and a Hyperpixel display.

Does Nerves/Scenic support this display? If not, are there any resources on how to build support for it? I’m not very well versed in embedded.

The display is this one, without touch: HyperPixel 4.0 - Hi-Res Display for Raspberry Pi - Pimoroni

Hmm maybe it doesn’t need to support it explicitly? I just read some article about using an eink display and it had a specific library but maybe that’s a special case I guess?

2 Likes

Take a look at E-ink display - Inky library shout out & showcase for an idea of how they made a scenic backend for eink devices.

Also stop by the Slack Nerves and Scenic channels, the guys who ported got a lot of help there.

1 Like

NVM the info for eink, which are a special case. That display looks like a standard lcd. The trick there would be building a Raspberry pi image with kernelnmodules for driving that tft display. AFAIK, the regular scenic rpi3/glws should work if the kernel modules are there.

That looks like a nice display! If you already have one, it would be interesting to see whether you can get it working easily with Nerves! I only looked briefly at how the installer works, but it looks like maybe it’s just some Device Tree files that you could include and configure using the rootfs_overlay option in your Nerves project.

Let us know if you’re planning to give it a try and if you get stuck! :rocket::sparkles:

1 Like

I ended up buying this https://www.adafruit.com/product/2315 instead. It’s enough for this project. I’ll probably get the hyperpixel for another project though :slight_smile: