Crowdhailer
Creator of Raxx
I have been developing a system using Vagrant. I can ssh to the machine and interact with the system through the iex in the console. However I would like to be able to use tools with a GUI.
I was hoping it would just be a case of enabling X-forwarding but I have not been able to make it work. These are the two reference sources I have started from. One ssh generic and one vagrant specific.
The example project I am trying to run this is here.
I have tried adding this line to my Vagrantfile
config.ssh.forward_x11 = true
Bash commands to get to error.
vagrant up
vagrant ssh
# In guest box
iex
iex(1)> :observer.start
[error] WX ERROR: SMP emulator required (start with erl -smp)
{:error,
{:not_smp,
[{:wxe_server, :start, 1, [file: 'wxe_server.erl', line: 65]},
{:wx, :new, 1, [file: 'wx.erl', line: 115]},
{:observer_wx, :init, 1, [file: 'observer_wx.erl', line: 104]},
{:wx_object, :init_it, 6, [file: 'wx_object.erl', line: 355]},
{:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: 'proc_lib.erl', line: 247]}]}}
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, so be gentle (or at least polite). I’ve been lurking for a while and I’m genuinely excit...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
Uhh, that is unexpected, your erlang build does not start in smp mode, is it built with it at all?
benwilson512
Instead of trying to run observer on the remote node I would highly recommend just having a local computer remote session into the remote node. Then you can run observer locally and you’re good to go.
Crowdhailer
So I never got this working.
@benwilson512 thanks for your suggestion and that definitely would work, however for my purposes I’m trying to avoid having elixir/erlang installed on the host.
benwilson512
What do you mean on the host? I was referring to your development computer.
sasajuric
Did you try starting your shell with
ELIXIR_ERL_OPTIONS="-smp enable" iex?Crowdhailer
Yes that worked as long as I also included in my
Vagrantfile.config.ssh.forward_x11 = true