slouchpie

slouchpie

Greetings, comrades.

I have thoroughly gone through both the RabbitMQ Elixir tutorials (RabbitMQ tutorial - "Hello world!" | RabbitMQ) and the book “Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir”. GenStage is very cool, Flow is very cool and Broadway is very cool.

I have a question for veterans who are well-experienced in both Flow and Broadway. Both are capable of constructing GenStage pipelines but, as far as I can tell, Flow allows for “longer” pipelines with more intricate branching. If using a message broker, it seems like a theoretically “ideal” architecture which would afford maximum future extensibility would be one where Broadway acts as a gateway for Flow.

My question, in short, would be “can Broadway construct pipelines of the same arbitrary length and complexity as Flow”? If not, then could it be said that it is theoretically ideal (when not certain of long-term project requirements) to always use Flow when using Broadway? As I understand, Broadway is concerned about the AMQP side of things, whereas Flow is more concerned with making GenStages do magic concurrency things.

Thanks!

P.S. Flow is really really fun. I am going to try to apply it to caint (Use streams · Issue #5 · peaceful-james/caint · GitHub)

Showing Posts 1 to 4

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

I’m sorry I don’t have the answer. I’ve never even used Broadway or Flow or GenStage. But I very much enjoyed the reviews of Caint.

slouchpie

slouchpie OP

Necromancy sneak attack! I have been using these libs for a few days and am now 90% sure that I am right to default to always using flow with broadway, to orchestrate the genstages that process amqp events.

BartOtten

BartOtten

Wow, just the project I was looking for in my attempt to bring a “suite of libs for total localized and translated apps”. Great work.

@paulsabou is also in for LLM Po-files. Great dev I once worked with. Maybe both projects can learn from each other: GitHub - paulsabou/gettext_llm: Elixir Gettext LLM based translation library · GitHub

paulsabou

paulsabou

Thanks @BartOtten

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews