marius95

marius95

Hello everyone,

I have two problems with Elixir LS. In the image you can see both problems/questions. I’m using VSCode and the Elixir LS extension. The screenshot is from my Phoenix project. I’ve installed Erlang and Elixir through asdf.

image

Question 1

The last line says: Elixir sources not found and I’m wondering if it is possible to change the path in the info message? I’m not sure why the path is /home/build/elixir.

Question 2

I’m missing some intellisense features in VSCode and I was hoping to solve it with compiling Elixir LS with the same Elixir and Erlang version, I’m using. So I was following this guide: https://dragoshmocrii.com/fix-vscode-elixirls-intellisense-for-code-imported-with-use/?PageSpeed=noscript

The compilation was successful but I get a JsonRPC error while checking the Output Panel of the VSCode console. This error is already mentioned in the trouble shooting page of Elixir LS: GitHub - elixir-lsp/elixir-ls: A frontend-independent IDE "smartness" server for Elixir. Implements the "Language Server Protocol" standard and provides debugger support via the "Debug Adapter Protocol" · GitHub

Unfortunately I was unable to find a fix…

Showing Posts 1 to 10

jngcorvus

jngcorvus

Regarding question 1:
I had to clone the elixir repo into /home/builds/elixir: GitHub - elixir-lang/elixir at v1.12.3 · GitHub

inaniyants

inaniyants

for question 2 problem:

Vscode elixir introduced setting languageServerOverridePath. You could find it in vscode settings ElixirLS.
This setting can be configured per workspace, so each project will have its own elixirLS release, which is handy if you’re using asdf for elixir installation and have different elixir versions per project.

Basically, you need to download ElixirLS precompiled release for desired elixir version from here
Releases · elixir-lsp/elixir-ls · GitHub and upzip it to some directory. Then use absolute path to that directory to set languageServerOverridePath setting. Then remove .elixir_ls and _build directories in your project and restart VsCode.
Every time, when vscode elixir ls extension upgrades ElixirLS version, you’ll need to download a new release and repeat all the above.

IMO, it’s better than compiling ElixirLS manually and replacing it in vscode extensions.

lukaszsamson

lukaszsamson

ElixirLS Core Team

languageServerOverridePath may no longer be useful. Since v0.14 the extension uses Mix.install which builds and installs elixirLS using the correct elixir and OTP combo

brunoripa

brunoripa

Hey folks, a quick question: I started working on a project for Elixir 1.11 this morning; according to the support matrix I see that Elixir <= 1.12 is not supported, is that correct ? Am I missing something ? Any workaround to have this working in some way with Elixir 1.11 Otp 23 ?

Thanks in advance.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Elixir 1.11 is still listed as supported here: elixir/lib/elixir/pages/references/compatibility-and-deprecations.md at main · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

And you can use it with Erlang 21 to 23.

brunoripa

brunoripa

Thanks @dimitarvp

brunoripa

brunoripa

Ops, probably there’s been a misunderstanding, actually ElixirLS does not support Elixir versions <= 1.12:

:frowning:

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Well, try and upgrade? Is there an obstacle?

brunoripa

brunoripa

Well, the message was there … but it’s working :sweat_smile:

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I still wouldn’t count on that though. No good reason to hold off version upgrades IMO.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I wrote a longread on how do I test code. Everything I gained from 10 years of experience writing code without any testing and 20 years w...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews