Joe Armstrong has passed away

We are deeply saddened to have to share with you news about the passing of @joeerl

An extremely intelligent and charismatic kind soul who is a true hero and legend to many of us in the programming world - he will be missed sorely and remembered with fondness.

Thank you Joe for everything you have done and for taking the time to hang out with us, sharing the breadth of your knowledge and wisdom and helping us all be not just better programmers, but better human beings too. Our deepest condolences and thoughts are now with your family and friends.

https://twitter.com/FrancescoC/status/1119596234166218754

112 Likes

Very sad news.

Thanks for all the wonderful things you did Joe.

15 Likes

I am so incredibly gutted by this :sob:

Joe was a real inspiration and such a lovely person. I am thankful that only a couple of weeks ago I got the chance to thank him personally for everything he has done for us and how much he is respected and loved by so many of us in the community.

Thank you Joe, you really did make a mark - on the world as well as in our hearts.

26 Likes

This is a terrible loss. I hope his family will fare well in the face of this tragedy.

Thank you Joe for everything you have done. :022:

11 Likes

very sad to hear that.

5 Likes

This is so sad. Thanks for your awesome job and for inspiring us to write better software.

Goodbye Joe.

6 Likes

I’m so sad to hear this. Praying for his loved ones.

6 Likes

My condolences to Joe’s family. Never got the chance to meet him but I loved hearing his perspective on programming and software development. This episode Elixir Fountain - Joe Armstrong is one of my favorites. He will truly be missed.

8 Likes

This is terrible news. He will be greatly missed.

5 Likes

R. I. P. Joe :sob:

4 Likes

RIP Joe. You will truly be missed. :frowning:

4 Likes

He will absolutely be missed, he was an amazing person!!

:cry:

9 Likes

I feel greatly moved by the news of his passing, he was a wonderful programmer that contributed much over the course of his career. I will strive to remember him through my work. If you haven’t yet now is a great time to watch Erlang, The Movie

8 Likes

This is very heartbreaking to hear, truly an inspiration and someone who will live on forever as a legend in the space. Your work and research has shaped the way we see parallelism today, especially as we push deeper and deeper on the laws of physics. RIP.

5 Likes

This is very sad news. He made a genuine and significant impact on the world and I am sure he will be remembered and appreciated for his work, teachings and writings for a long time. Thanks Joe.

4 Likes

Oh no! My condolences to his family.

I was unsure about Erlang when I picked up the first pragprog book years ago, and since then I’ve learned Elixir at work, and come to appreciate Erlang immensely.

Thank you for creating the underlying language and vm that we all rely on here.

4 Likes

Thank you Joe, for all your inspiration and wonderful ideas. You were one of the people I always hoped to meet at some point during my life, but alas. I am very happy with the few online conversations we’ve had, and for all ways you’ve touched the art of Computing Science and also our hearts :heart: .

5 Likes

terrible news :cry: RIP

4 Likes

Sad to hear :confused:

4 Likes

Such a lovely man. No Joe. No Elixir. We owe you everything. Your legacy is in safe hands. Thanks, Joe.

7 Likes