stevensonmt
I’ve just been watching a few videos of Joe Armstrong lectures. He seems to have been quite an intriguing guy. I’m curious if there are any biographies written about him or histories of Erlang with a sort of personal slant. A quick search on Amazon didn’t turn up any obvious matches.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
maz
My favorite is this one:
crova
His blog is both fun and informative armstrong on software
gregvaughn
Joe Armstrong’s doctoral thesis is quite approachable and includes great background on the design constraints and tradeoffs in building Erlang. http://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/coursework/cosc461/armstrong_thesis_2003.pdf
AstonJ
You might also like this thread:
And I highly recommend his book, Programming Erlang
A few of us started a book club on Devtalk and it will give you an idea what we think of it - sounds like just what you’re looking for tbh 
stevensonmt
@maz – that was the first one I watched. Very entertaining and informative. Reminded me of all the best professors and mentors I’ve had over the years.
@crova – so nice that it’s still up. Thanks!
@gregvaughn – thanks for the link. I suspect we might have different definitions of approachable but I’m going to give it a go.
@astonj – thanks for pointing me there. Will check out the book as well.
sasajuric
A history of Erlang is a nice read.