andrewb
Hi,
I have a new Phoenix project (Latest versions of everything) and have a problem when I use:
import socket from "./socket"
I am using jQuery to highlight my menu and each menu item has an icon from Font Awesome. In my app.js I am defining jQuery like this:
window.$ = $;
and the script in my base layout HTML is:
var page = window.location.pathname.split('/')[1]
$('#' + page).toggleClass('active')
I am also importing the icons in app.js:
import { faUser } from "@fortawesome/pro-light-svg-icons/faUser";
library.add(faUser);
when I use the import statement for sockets I get an error uncaught reference error: $ is undefined and my icons disappear.
I have tried moving script to view render function but same problem exists … only thing that fixes it is commenting out the import for sockets.
Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Other Trending Topics
A new screencast on live LiveView updates with PubSub, the Oban Web dashboard, and smarter retries. Part 2 of 2. Screencast + full walkth...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
peerreynders
That would imply Phoenix 1.4 and webpack.
Correction: For webpack 4 imports-loader.
GitHub
This might be a problem because as AFAIK webpack deals with modular JavaScript, not script in the page. So the easiest way to deal with that is to install Phoenix with
--no-webpack(see also).andrewb
Thanks, but it all works fine when not using Sockets … I am trying to work out why importing that script makes a difference.
Andrew
chensan
When using webpack, there’s no global
$. You have toimportit yourself, you might try:peerreynders
Just because it worked before doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.
Mixing in-page script and modules is a Bad Idea™.
If you plan to use webpack move your code into a module (or all of it into
app.js). I described the process in principle here (for Brunch - but the idea is the same). For some more background into bundling see Modern JavaScript Explained For Dinosaurs.andrewb