wmnnd

wmnnd

Hey folks,

I wanted to share with you a project I’ve been working on for a while: It’s an Open Source (AGPLv3) newsletter tool. Think Mailchimp, but written in Elixir and you can run it on your own server.

Check out the website with a little demo video here:

Recently, people have been talking about the PETAL stack - and it fits Keila quite well: It’s built with Phoenix/Elixir, uses Tailwind for styling, and bit of AlpineJS sprinkled on top of LiveViews.

Developing Keila has been a breeze with the amazing tools from our community.

Here are some of the tools I’m using (on top of the usual suspects like Ecto):

Right now, I’m getting everything ready for the 0.1 release. If you’re curious about the code, check it out on GitHub:
https://github.com/pentacent/keila

If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Exadra37

Exadra37

I have not tried it yet but it looks like a very good work you have done here.

I would suggest you to set-up Github sponsors for your project.

crova

crova

Thanks for sharing, I will look at this during the weekend as I would be very keen to collaborate on something like this.

eksperimental

eksperimental

Looks really good. I am reading at your git log --reverse

wmnnd

wmnnd OP

Excellent idea, I will be looking into this! Do you have any experience with GitHub Sponsors so far?

wmnnd

wmnnd OP

Very cool, please feel free to reach out to me personally :grinning:

Exadra37

Exadra37

No, but see how a developer got to make 100k with Github Sponsors, and one if his projects is a port of LiveView to PHP named LiveWire:

crova

crova

IIRC he began the project with a closed source and then opened it after hitting his target through GH sponsors. It seems that now he offers training material and support for the sponsors (after opening the source code).

It is a nice story to get inspiration from.

wmnnd

wmnnd OP

Keila v0.1.0 is now out!

The new Markdown editor is powered by LiveView and allows sending of hybrid HTML + Plain Text messages.

From now on, all releases will be available as Docker images on Docker Hub.
There’s now also a Documentation page, so if you want to give Keila a try, here are the installation instructions:

I hope I’ll find some time to blog about some of the challenges and learnings while building Keila so far. The next blog post will probably be on dynamic Ecto queries, but if you have questions about any particular technical aspect, let me know :slight_smile:

wmnnd

wmnnd OP

Keila 0.5: WYSIWYG, Tracking + Hosted Edition!

Keila 0.5 is now out and there have been a bunch of new features since the last update I posted here!

  • WYSIWYG editor for campaigns
  • Send later feature for campaigns
  • Template editor for creating your own email designs
  • Campaign open/click tracking
  • Easier initial setup + improved dark theme

There’s now also a hosted version of Keila available on https://www.keila.io/try.
You can try it for free!

If you’re interested in getting a subscription, feel free to PM me first :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions! Bug reports and code contributions on GitHub are also always welcome :slight_smile:

11
Post #9
wmnnd

wmnnd OP

Keila 0.8: Revamped UI, Segmentation, Custom Contact Data, API

It’s been a while since I posted an update about Keila here, but that’s only because I forgot to update this post :sweat_smile:

Since 0.5, there have been tons of improvements to Keila, some of the most notable changes are:

There are also some neat improvements for people running their own Keila instance

  • Login-as feature for admins
  • Automated bounce handling with SES
  • Improved official Docker image
  • Running Keila in a subdirectory

And of course Keila has also been upgraded to Phoenix 1.6 and is now using heex templates exclusively :partying_face:

The Shiny New UI

The Segment Editor

Where’s the code? Can I contribute?

You can check out the complete code of Keila on GitHub. Bug reports, feature suggestions, and code contributions are very welcome :slight_smile:

Is there a demo?

If you want to try Keila in action without installing it, you can check out the managed version for free on keila.io. If you’re interested in getting a subscription, please feel free to PM me.

If you want to install Keila on your own server, check out the installation docs.

GitHub Sponsors

Last but not least, as @Exadra37 suggested in this thread way back in February, you can now also support my work on Keila on GitHub Sponsors :heart:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews