MarcusRiemer

MarcusRiemer

I am attempting to stack multiple PNG images with transparency on top of each other. These are pixel art images for game characters and should work similar to “dressing” a paper doll. The pixels in my images are either fully transparent or fully opaque, there is no “partial” transparency going on.

I’m more or less porting code from a JavaScript canvas to a Phoenix Controller generating the image on the fly.

defmodule RenderCharacterController do
  use Web, :controller

  def get(conn, params) do
    result_image = Image.new!(832, 1344, color: [0, 0, 0, 0])

    gender = Map.get(params, "gender", "male")

    layers = [
      Image.open!("priv/static/lpc/body/#{gender}/light.png"),
      Image.open!("priv/static/lpc/head/#{gender}/light.png"),
      Image.open!("priv/static/lpc/hair/buzzcut/adult/blue.png"),
      Image.open!("priv/static/lpc/torso/longsleeve/#{gender}/red.png")
    ]

    result_image = Enum.reduce(layers, result_image, & Image.Draw.image!(&2, &1, 0, 0, mode: :VIPS_COMBINE_MODE_ADD))
    binary = Image.write!(result_image, :memory, suffix: ".png", minimize_file_size: true)

    conn
    |> put_resp_content_type("image/png")
    |> send_resp(200, binary)
  end

end

The result is however not what I expected. I’m sadly not allowed to upload images, so please bare with to imgur. You can also see them all at once: https://imgur.com/a/1kyhcWe

So clearly :VIPS_COMBINE_MODE_ADD is not the correct way to blend / draw transparent images on top of each other like a JavaScript Canvas would do. The only other mode is however :VIPS_COMBINE_MODE_SET and this ignores transparency and completely hides the first image behind the second image. I would require something along the line of :VIPS_COMBINE_MODE_SET_UNLESS_FULLY_TRANSPARENT.

Does anyone have an idea how to stack images like this using the Image library? Or any other library for that matter.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

The appropriate way to do this is to use Image.compose/2.

The Image.Draw functions should be avoided since they mutate the image and break image pipelines.

(On my phone, will aim for a more comprehensive example later).

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

There are some examples of how to compose here: Image - an image processing library based upon Vix - #17 by kip

MarcusRiemer

MarcusRiemer OP

Thanks alot! Swapping out the call made all the difference I wanted. If you are stumbling over this from the future, this is what worked for me:

layers = [
  Image.open!("priv/static/lpc/body/#{gender}/light.png"),
  Image.open!("priv/static/lpc/head/#{gender}/light.png"),
  Image.open!("priv/static/lpc/hair/buzzcut/adult/blue.png"),
  Image.open!("priv/static/lpc/torso/longsleeve/#{gender}/red.png")
]

result_image = Enum.reduce(layers, result_image, & Image.compose!(&2, &1, x: 0, y: 0))
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews