LiveMonacoEditor - Monaco Editor component for Phoenix LiveView

Hey everyone, live_monaco_editor is a new component to render the Monaco Editor in your app. Monaco is the editor that powers VSCode and is the editor we all use and love in Livebook.

It was created to be used on BeaconCMS Admin UI but it can be used in any app.

How it looks like

After installing the dep and adding its hook into live socket, you can have an editor as simple as:

<LiveMonacoEditor.code_editor value="# My Code Editor" />

And interact with it calling:

socket
|> LiveMonacoEditor.change_language("html")
|> LiveMonacoEditor.set_value("<h1>New File</h1>")

Check out all features. More to come.

How assets are loaded

It’s using monaco-loader to load assets dynamically at runtime keeping the bundle size really small. It may support importing local assets if that’s ever requested.

Is it ready for production?

It’s in the early stages but a new version to make it more stable will be released soon.

Roadmap

The top priority is delivering a great UX for editing Elixir and HEEx files with auto complete and features you’d expect from a code editor, similar to Livebook. Note that this project has no association with Livebook but that’s a source of inspiration thanks to Jonatan Kłosko.

Enjoy!

28 Likes

Install cmark-gfm and execute the following to get a local server running:

Why requiring an external dependency to be installed in our operating system?

Hey @Exadra37 that’s for Beacon and not LiveMonacoEditor but it will be replaced soon. To give you some context, earmark was failing to parse a bunch of markdown files and it won’t be fixed, which is fine since parsing markdown is complex and not all libraries supports all edge cases, so I’ve been experimenting with alternatives and the end goal is to not require an external dependency.

1 Like

I am using MD library:

The announcement:

What I am using it for:

2 Likes

MD library seems great for our use case and it’s on my radar since I saw your implementation parsing heex components. Cool idea and implementation btw. Here’s the issue on Beacon repo Admin -> Editor: Extend markdown to support HEEx features · Issue #191 · BeaconCMS/beacon · GitHub

How is your MD parser working? Have you found more issues or limitations?

1 Like

For my use case its working fine, but as the library author says, my approach isn’t idiomatic for the library, because its not returning an AST representation of what is being parsed, instead I am returning HTML… He says that he will think if he can address my use case in an idiomatic way for the library, thus maybe you also want to expose your use case to see what he as to say.

My project is pretty much parked since that post I made, but not because of the MD library, just because of lacking the time to work on it, thus I cannot tell if my approach will find issues/limitations as I try to do more with it.

my approach isn’t idiomatic for the library, because its not returning an AST representation of what is being parsed, instead I am returning HTML

It’s not much different than what I need so I may get into the same situation as you.

expose your use case to see what he as to say

I’m gonna reach out as soon as I get back to that :+1: We have 700+ pages written in Markdown for dockyard.com (blog posts) so that may be a good test for the library. Do you mind if I reach out to you as well when I get to implement that custom MD parser?

1 Like

Feel free to reach out. I will try to help on what I can :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey :wave: quick update since the last post.

Improved look & feel by loading the JetBrains Mono font and OneDark theme by default. That’s how it looks like rendering Elixir code:

And HTML:

Enjoy! New features coming soon.

2 Likes